Bacon pops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chefmjg4635

Original poster
Aug 7, 2020
Pop's bacon cure. How many pounds of pork belly is it for. Don't want it to to strong or not stron enough. How do i get the right ratio.

If I were you I would dry cure the belly. IMHO, the texture & flavor are much better with dry cured, versus brine cured. Just use the bacon calculator that we all use & you will need a scale that weighs in grams. Here is a link to the calculator.
I usually cure the belly for 14 days, flipping it & massaging it everyday. Here is a step by step process of how I make my bacon. Hope this helps you out.

Al

Pop's bacon cure. How many pounds of pork belly is it for. Don't want it to to strong or not stron enough. How do i get the right ratio.

If you're talking about Pops Curing Brine, then it's not made for poundage. You mix the brine in 1 gallon increments. If 1 gallon isn't enough to cover the meat in whatever vessel you have it in, then make a whole second gallon to cover the meat. Do NOT try to make 1/2 gallons etc.

Last edited:
If I were you I would dry cure the belly. IMHO, the texture & flavor are much better with dry cured, versus brine cured. Just use the bacon calculator that we all use & you will need a scale that weighs in grams. Here is a link to the calculator.
I usually cure the belly for 14 days, flipping it & massaging it everyday. Here is a step by step process of how I make my bacon. Hope this helps you out.

Al
^^^^^^This^^^^^
Is the best option. This way you know exactly how much salt, sugar and nitrite you are applying to the meat.
If you use the brine method, pump 10% or as close as possible, of the brine into the meat. This eliminates the guess on diffusion or how much brine is taken into the meat.

As others have said... with pop's brine you just have to make sure the pork belly is covered.
Not sure how much pork belly you have but I would recommend doing some in pop's brine and some in a dry cure. That way you can do a side by side comparison on which you like better. Have done it many times ourselves to see what we prefer. There's also Bearcarver Bearcarver method of using tenderquick and can be found in his step by step index.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky