bacon help

Discussion in 'Bacon' started by ldrus, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ldrus

ldrus Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

i have about 2 hrs left of my 12 hour cold smoke  temps been running around 80 deg. and it just hit me

Do i let it rest  or chill it before i slice it up or is it ready to slice when i pull from the smoker?

2. I usually take the sides off the smoker, wrap in plastic wrap and then toss in the fridge over night.  The next day I toss them in the freezer for an hour or more before slicing....are you going to slice by hand or with a slicer?

-Salt

3. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

What Salt said will work fine,  you can actually let it go a bit longer in the fridge if you would like.  If the bacon is kind of loose then some freezer time is a good thing to make it easier to slice.  I generally just slice what I need as I need it freezing chunks in vacupack bags and just pulling and slicing when I want some great eating bacon.

4. ldrus

ldrus Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

with a slicer

5. sprky

sprky Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Good info there. I filed it away for future reference. 

6. shoneyboy

shoneyboy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I at least wait till the next day before I slice it up..... I haven't put it in the freezer though, I will have to try that next time !!!!!! Learn something new every day ......

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  7. Usually when I pull it off of the smoker I'll slice some for the complete taste test.  But it does slice easier after setting and chilling for a while.