Bacon curing questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Omnivore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Ok so from my understanding, an equilibrium brine combines the weight of the meat and the weight of the water, then adds 2% of that weight in salt, and 0.25% pink salt. This way the bacon doesn't end up too salty and there is more flexibility in curing times since it can cure from 7 days to 21 days. (I got this info from reading Michael Ruhlman).

If I go this route, how do I determine how much brown sugar is necessary?
It seems like more recipes use a basic salt, sugar, pink salt dry cure and just rub it on the belly, throw in a ziplock, and turn everyday for an amount of days based on belly thickness. Are there pros and cons to these two different methods? Thanks for any insight!

I am attempting my first bacon right now and just seasoned it last night. I followed the following rub. It just happened that my belly was right around 5 pounds.

5 pounds pork belly, skin on
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 teaspoons pink curing salt
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
1 teaspoon cumin seeds

Reactions: Omnivore
I am attempting my first bacon right now and just seasoned it last night. I followed the following rub. It just happened that my belly was right around 5 pounds.

1/4 cup kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin seeds

That recipe looks good. Is skin on because it's easier to peel off after it's been smoked?

"I am attempting my first bacon right now and just seasoned it last night. I followed the following rub. It just happened that my belly was right around 5 pounds.

1/4 cup kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin seeds"

Using Cure #1 (pink salt...and DO NOT get it confused with cure #2, which is also pink) only requires 1 teaspoon per 5# of meat. Here is a VERY helpful link that will give you the exact amounts of Cure #1, salt, and sugar for bacon. Just plug in the weight of your pork belly and it'll give you everything you need to know.

http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

From there, you just use whatever spices or flavorings you want. I do two recipes that I've dialed in and we love. One is maple and brown sugar, the other is pepper crusted....and I mean very heavily crusted :-) If you want a step-by-step tutorial, go to the search icon and look for a recipe posted by disco disco . It's what I've followed from day 1 and have loved every slab of bacon that I've done. Disco also has a fantastic recipe for Back (Canadian) Bacon that is nothing short of amazing. trust me, if it comes from disco, you can take it to the bank!! Feel free to drop a line if I can be of more assistance. Gerald....thanks for the tag. I love helping people start making new stuff from everything I have learned in this forum.

Hope this helps,
Robert

Reactions: ramatack and disco
Oops....just realized that kit s posted the exact same link that I did. Sorry about duplicating info.

Robert

I just use pop's brine, it's simple and taste good
nothing complicated - when you do 300 lbs of bellies at a time, you don't fool around weighing everything, just throw them in a barrel, cover with curing brine and weigh down and shove into the cooler. That's it, and on to the next thing.

Omnivore said:
Ok so from my understanding, an equilibrium brine combines the weight of the meat and the weight of the water, then adds 2% of that weight in salt, and 0.25% pink salt. This way the bacon doesn't end up too salty and there is more flexibility in curing times since it can cure from 7 days to 21 days. (I got this info from reading Michael Ruhlman).

I use/add 1% sugar to that recipe...
It seems like more recipes use a basic salt, sugar, pink salt dry cure and just rub it on the belly, throw in a ziplock, and turn everyday for an amount of days based on belly thickness. Are there pros and cons to these two different methods?
The dry cure recipe.... The belly doesn't fill up with water so the bacon flavor intensifies.. 7 days per inch thickness for both recipes..
Thanks for any insight!

nothing complicated - when you do 300 lbs of bellies at a time, you don't fool around weighing everything, just throw them in a barrel, cover with curing brine and weigh down and shove into the cooler. That's it, and on to the next thing.

Thanks Pops!!
Hope you're improving every day!!
Be nice to stay at home for a good while!!!

Bear

Omnivore said:

I use/add 1% sugar to that recipe...
It seems like more recipes use a basic salt, sugar, pink salt dry cure and just rub it on the belly, throw in a ziplock, and turn everyday for an amount of days based on belly thickness. Are there pros and cons to these two different methods?
The dry cure recipe.... The belly doesn't fill up with water so the bacon flavor intensifies.. 7 days per inch thickness for both recipes..
Thanks for any insight!
Thanks for concise info! I went with Disco's dry cure recipe per your information on wet brines. Maybe I'll try the other belly wet so I can compare them.

Reactions: daveomak
"I am attempting my first bacon right now and just seasoned it last night. I followed the following rub. It just happened that my belly was right around 5 pounds.

1/4 cup kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin seeds"

Using Cure #1 (pink salt...and DO NOT get it confused with cure #2, which is also pink) only requires 1 teaspoon per 5# of meat. Here is a VERY helpful link that will give you the exact amounts of Cure #1, salt, and sugar for bacon. Just plug in the weight of your pork belly and it'll give you everything you need to know.

http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

From there, you just use whatever spices or flavorings you want. I do two recipes that I've dialed in and we love. One is maple and brown sugar, the other is pepper crusted....and I mean very heavily crusted :-) If you want a step-by-step tutorial, go to the search icon and look for a recipe posted by disco disco . It's what I've followed from day 1 and have loved every slab of bacon that I've done. Disco also has a fantastic recipe for Back (Canadian) Bacon that is nothing short of amazing. trust me, if it comes from disco, you can take it to the bank!! Feel free to drop a line if I can be of more assistance. Gerald....thanks for the tag. I love helping people start making new stuff from everything I have learned in this forum.

Hope this helps,
Robert
Blushing here.

Ok guys, I'm torn on how long to let this cure for. According to Disco's method it needs at least 7 days to cure. Problem is if I pull it on day 7 or 8, I'm then out of town for Labor Day weekend so it would be air drying for 4 days in the fridge. So do I keep it curing longer and rinse it on day 12 instead? For reference, the belly is mostly an inch thick but 1.25 inches in the thickest areas so I calculated 1.25 x 4 plus 2 days per the recipe I'm following. I started curing it on the afternoon of 8/21.

Keep it curing longer. Couple more days won't hurt a bit. 4 days air dry isn't what I would consider excessive either. But, gun to my head, I'd leave it cure longer for sure.

Keep it curing longer. Couple more days won't hurt a bit. 4 days air dry isn't what I would consider excessive either. But, gun to my head, I'd leave it cure longer for sure.

Thank you! I was leaning in that direction but needed some moral support!

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky