Bacon color during cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

filmtech

Original poster
Feb 21, 2017
Georgia
Hey Y'all! I'm doing my first dry rub bacon cure and had a question about the coloring. I'm on day 5 of 10 and ive got some really red colored areas and some grayish brown colored areas. Pictures below. I've got 2 4.5ish lb slabs and used the diggingdogfarm.com calculator to figure out the cure/salt/sugar mix. I used Pink Cure #1, Light Brown Sugar, and Sea Salt. They are sealed in 2.5 gallon zip lock bags, stored in the fridge, and I've been flipping/massaging every day. Should this color even out or is something wrong? Thanks!!! Matt

Normal. The red spots are where the belly is touching the bag. The greyish color comes from oxygen in the bag and water.

Keep on curing.

Last edited:
Reactions: filmtech
I know this thread is old, but it is relevant to me. My bbb looks like this on day 8. Curing for 14. What if it looks like this on day 14? Shouldn't it all be red? I used the digging dog farm calculator for my cure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky