Bacon belly color ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buckinducks

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 4, 2014
Canada
been flipping 2 bags of belly dry/now liquid brine for 8 days now , stacking on top of each other . Thoughts on the colour difference ? No brine hitting that spot after all this time ?
Was fairly heavy on brown sugar .
BD33D2BB-66F1-49D6-977C-259FA29C6C97.jpeg

Its fine. I get spots like that. The red is where the bag stuck to the meat and you stacked them on top of each other. I never stack meat.

Reactions: chopsaw
As, pc farmer said. The red meat was covered with plastic and had no oxygen. The brown meat was exposed to oxygen and turned color. If you could make the bacon always touch the plastic as a casing, it would all be red.
what you have is perfectly fine. Inside that belly is perfectly red, cured meat.

Like already said, No problem.
However Keep your meat in one layer when Dry Curing.
Makes it easier for Cure to get to it's destination---The Center.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky