Back to smoking from many years off. Un-modded Brinkman, ended up with shoe leather meat.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clem hooten

Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
I fired up my Brinkman without the mods for the first time the other day. I smoked a beef roast and pork joint for about 6 hours and for the first time ever I got shoe leather. I used to smoke all the time, now I want to do it again. It's funny, 20 years ago I could smoke anything with a non-modded brinkman and it came out deliciously tender every time. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my meat was so bad?

Here is what I had going on:

Un modded brinkman.

Wood chips, (burned too fast, need chunks I know).

Rarely got above mid-ideal heat level.

Kept water full but also had carrots/onions/potatoes in the pot.

Is it the fact that it didn't stay hot enough? Was it the wood chips? Was it the water?

Any advice? I bragged to my son that you could smoke shoe leather and it would turn out great. I smoked meat and ended up with shoe leather. :D

Thanks.

I fired up my Brinkman without the mods for the first time the other day. I smoked a beef roast and pork joint for about 6 hours and for the first time ever I got shoe leather. I used to smoke all the time, now I want to do it again. It's funny, 20 years ago I could smoke anything with a non-modded brinkman and it came out deliciously tender every time. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my meat was so bad?

Here is what I had going on:

Un modded brinkman.

Wood chips, (burned too fast, need chunks I know).

Rarely got above mid-ideal heat level.

Kept water full but also had carrots/onions/potatoes in the pot.

Is it the fact that it didn't stay hot enough? Was it the wood chips? Was it the water?

Any advice? I bragged to my son that you could smoke shoe leather and it would turn out great. I smoked meat and ended up with shoe leather. :D

Thanks.
Clem, can you provide more specifics ?   What cuts of meat were you smoking ?  What size were they ?  What do you consider "mid-ideal heat level" ?  Did you have many flare ups ?  Details on the thermometer that you were using ?

I have the Brinkman too, and haven't done much for mods either.  I know from using external thermometers, the ideal heat is closer to 300 versus the 225-250 range.  I know it would depend on the size of the cuts, but only cooking for 6 hours, I'd be surprised if the meat got warm enough to be pull apart tender.

Charcoal Smoker ?    I have and have used an ECB  I started out with one no mods and turned out some mighty fine Q. Brisket takes a long time I never do one less that 12 hours. Charcoal and wood chunks  do the wood up front that is when you want to get the smoke into the meat.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky