Back to making TBS and smoky goodness

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sprky

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 26, 2007
Hutchinson Kansas
Good after noon fellow smoke hounds,

My first of 2 turkeys and a ham is in the smoker as I type this. I wanted to have the first on in mid morning but Murphy’s Law kept me from it. I haven’t run the smoker in almost a year due to no time.  I cleaned the smoker up late last week and everything was fine.  Today I couldn't get it to temp.  I took the burner assembly all apart and cleaned it again, still would not get to temp.  I thought the regulator had crapped out on me, so I swapped regulators from turkey fryer.  Still wouldn't get to temp.  I thought the gas valve had a restriction in it, as I had low flame.  I was searching for who had a smoker or valve when I remembered I had a bad tank do this to me. I switched out to my spare tank and that fixed my problem.  Why I didn't think of that sooner is beyond me.
hit.gif

I ordered a 12” smoking tube from Todd and that thing is the cat’s meow. I have it in a 250 - 275 smoker and it’s just chugging away putting out the TBS(thin blue smoke). After 2 hours I’m about 1/2 way through it.  I HIGHLY recommend you get one if you have a propane smoker. I have it placed on my sand filled water pan, with the drip pan on next rack above, and it works BEAUTIFUL in this position. My side vents are open just a touch for air.

I will post all about the smoke in another thread later, along with Qview.

Happy Smoking and Happy Thanksgiving,

Bill    

AKA Sprky

I've worked in I.T. for 23 years, and I can tell you it's human nature to assume the complex answer before the simple one, lol.

Best of luck with the smoke! Be sure and post some Q-view.

In the Navy it was "F.I.T." First Indication of Trouble. If you flip the switch and the motor doesn't start check the switch before you start rebuilding the motor.

I am pretty impressed you'd think to change the tank! That would have taken me a week to find anyway.

Glad you're rolling !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky