Back to basic's BB's on the WSM, Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
We were going through the freezer yesterday & came across a rack of BB's. They had been in there for a couple of months. We didn't have anything planned for dinner, so I thawed them out. Around here everyone likes fall off the bone ribs, so I decided to make the best fall off the bone ribs ever. The rack we had was quite thick, actually about the thickness of most spares we have bought. So I thought 3-2-1. Since I was changing the way I usually smoke ribs, why not change the whole process as well. I fired up the WSM, unwrapped the ribs, & rinsed them off. This is where it started to change from what I always do. No mustard or rub, just a little salt & CBP. I cut the rack into 2 pieces, because one end was a little thinner than the other, and since the WSM runs a little hotter toward the outside edge I put the thinner piece in the middle & the thicker piece toward the outside. Set the smoker to run at 210. I then made a mop sauce consisting of 1 cup apple juice & 1 cup of Jeff's BBQ sauce. Never mopped before. For the first 3 hours I mopped the ribs every hour. Then foiled them with a little dark beer for the next 2 hours. Then back on the grate for the last hour, mopping every 20 minutes. These were hands down the best ribs I have ever eaten, even Judy who is my toughest critic said the same thing. I have been finding out lately that I have been getting carried away with rubs, marinades, injections, etc. These ribs were really full of flavor. You could taste the pork & smoke flavor, with out it being overpowered with seasoning. They were very juicy & tender, and had a nice bark on them. When I went to cut them they started to fall apart because I had to saw through the bark. I would never call anything I smoked perfect, but I now know these will be my signature ribs from now on.

Here's a look at what we did. This is where it started:

673ccc44_4-19-111.jpg

Cut in half & ready for seasoning:

0b33e279_4-19-112.jpg

Just a little salt & pepper:

b4740555_4-19-113.jpg

Here they are fresh out of the smoker:

2dfc6680_4-19-115.jpg

Here's another angle:

f35b5f04_4-19-116.jpg

You can see I had trouble cutting them up, maybe the Johnny Walker had something to do with that:

233bbe6b_4-19-117.jpg

This was really crazy. We never got around to putting them on a plate. We just stood at the cutting board & couldn't stop eating. I put the camera down & a couple of minutes later. This was all that was left. I took a quick photo and then we finished them up, still standing at the cutting board.

b071e821_4-19-118.jpg

Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoyed the show. 

I do the cutting board gorging too Al. Amelia will give me a smack when she catches me, especially when we have guests. Those ribs look outstanding. I'm with you on simple. Sometimes I think we get caught up in trying to be clever and forget how great meats can be without all the jazz. Great smoke buddy!

Wow AL, those looks amazing and I agree that sometimes we get to creative and move so far from the basics that we forget how good simple is. Keep up the good work!

P.S. I realized you live in Sebring, I feel like I met you before, my dad lives there in a retirement community where everyone has golf carts, boats, and a lake (or body of water), his name is Tom Robert (shaky).

Wow AL, those looks amazing and I agree that sometimes we get to creative and move so far from the basics that we forget how good simple is. Keep up the good work!

P.S. I realized you live in Sebring, I feel like I met you before, my dad lives there in a retirement community where everyone has golf carts, boats, and a lake (or body of water), his name is Tom Robert (shaky).

We live in a retirement community too. It's called Tanglewood. It has a bunch of fishing ponds, but nothing big enough for boats. This is a small town. I might have seen you at Walmart. In any case the next time you come to town look me up. We can have a few beers & put some ribs on the WSM.

We live in a retirement community too. It's called Tanglewood. It has a bunch of fishing ponds, but nothing big enough for boats. This is a small town. I might have seen you at Walmart. In any case the next time you come to town look me up. We can have a few beers & put some ribs on the WSM.

He lives in Buttonwood Bay (I think that's what it's called) right off Lake Josephine. It might have been at Walmart, VFW (if you go there) or numerous other places, it is a small town, I have a photographic memory and you looked familiar, who knows. Either way next time I'm down there I'll give you a shout.

Great looking ribs there Al....I, as well, have never been a 'mopper' but looks like I might be giving that a whirl. Being a cook I've been eating standing up for years, usually near a sink...lol...when I do it at home I get grief from Andrea though.

Looks GREAT Al !!!!

Mighty tasty looking!

I agree, All I do is mustard & rub.

No injections, no marinating---Then a little juice in the foil. Nothing else until my fork hits them!

Bear

He lives in Buttonwood Bay (I think that's what it's called) right off Lake Josephine. It might have been at Walmart, VFW (if you go there) or numerous other places, it is a small town, I have a photographic memory and you looked familiar, who knows. Either way next time I'm down there I'll give you a shout.
Buttonwood Bay was built by the same guy who built Tanglewood. When he finished Buttonwood, he built Tanglewood. Some of the guys who work here came from Buttonwood.

Looks darn good Al!!!

I keep looking out the door waiting on my new WSM...

Craig

Man 'o Man, what a wealth of ribs today.  Absolutely great looking ribs.  H-m-m-m-m, fortunately, there's two spares in the pack, one section for Eric's and one section for yours.  Yep, that'll work.  Not to see which is better but VARIETY!!!!!

Nice job Al.  It is nice to see so many smokers who are willing to forget the "rules" and fix food the way their family likes it.

Good luck and good smoking.

looks great Al!

Basic can be beautiful!!

Nice bamboo cutting board, too!

Thanks Moose, I bought a 2 of those boards a couple of years ago. Lowe's had them on a close out sale, The other one is about twice the size, and they seem indestructible. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky