Back from Alaska...........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
.........with lots of fish.

My wife, myself and 3 fishing buddies spent this past week in Alaska. After resting for a couple day since we got back from vacation, I am now able to mentally post some pics of our week long vacation in Alaska. That Halibut fishing really wore me out big time.

Flew from SFO to Portland to Anchorage on Sat 9/6. Drove down to Clam Gulch, AK to stay at a cabin for the week. Relaxed and stocked up on supplies on Sunday then went on a glacier cruise on Monday where they fed us steak and Salmon on board while we looked at whales, glaciers, etc. Tuesday we did some guided Silver Salmon river fishing. Wednesday some bank fishing. Thurs more guided river fishing. Friday and Saturday we went out of Homer for some Halibut fishing.

una7esyh.jpg

usyzu8a3.jpg

Me with a nice Silver Salmon caught on roe. Really started to rain in the afternoon and that's when the fish really started to bite. Came in with limits.
u3atyjut.jpg

First day of Halibut fishing again with limits (2 each)
uvuhepeb.jpg

u9y2ery3.jpg

Our Halibut guide Capt Steve with his son Hunter, processing the day's catch. They also processed (clean, filet'd, vacuum sealed and froze) our Salmon as well
8asyvemy.jpg

The five of us were able to bring home 1 box each which weighed 50# apiece. Checked them in as luggage. Fish remained frozen.
aju7uqep.jpg

This freezer was emptied before we left on our trip. Top shelf is the Silver Salmon (sorry, pic is a little bleached out), while the other racks and baskets contain the Halibut. I weighed the contents of our boxes and each averaged with 17# of Silver Salmon and 30ish# of Halibut.
ybu5enyv.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool!  Some great pics there Craig!  Haven't been there yet myself, buy would love to see Alaska.  Looks like you and the Mrs. had a great time, and you'll be eating good all winter!  
icon14.gif

Red

I absolutely love Alaska! I hope you enjoyed yourself. Can't wait till I can go back. I'd move there if wifey would let me. Hope those fish taste great!

Great trip- My dad & I have done it a couple times, and it's all he can talk about. (Course, he caught a 164 lb. 'But, so I'll never hear the end of that!     Enjoy the spoils, that's some great eating there. I know what you mean, those Halibut can wear you out!  I always laugh when someone says they want to go 'but fishing for a week.  Man, I'd be in traction!

I assume you're gonna smoke some? let us know how it works out.

Awesome!!
icon14.gif

Looks like you kids had a Great time!!!
icon14.gif

I see a mess of Salmon Jerky & Nuggets in your near future!!!
drool.gif

I'll be here to watch!!

Bear

The skipper of the Halibut traded some of his Salmon Indian candy for a sampling of both my Jerky and Nuggets.    He asked for more 
sausage.gif

Yes, I can't see someone can bring in a 150+ Halibut unless you're superman.  My arms are still sore.

Man, it was like trying to drag a 4x8 sheet of plywood thru a pool of cement. Took us an hour and a half, but I think we made money on that trip, judging from the Halibut prices around here!! I'd do it again in a second- let me know if you need a partner next year!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky