Back (Canadian) Bacon 3 Ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
In some prior posts I advised I was putting a smoked gift package together for my brother and his family. In the last post, I had purchased two full pork loins and made Honey Loin Hams from the large ends of the loins. In this post, I will show how I made the final part of the package, back bacon (mysteriously to us Canadians, Canadian Bacon in the USA). 

I cut the rest of the two loins into 4 meat chunks.

I measured the cure mix for each piece of meat using the following formula, for each kilogram of pork I mixed:
  • 3 grams (2 ml) Prague Powder #1
  • 40 ml brown sugar
  • 15 ml kosher salt
For the archaic souls who don't do metric this works out to the following per pound of pork.
  • 0.05 ounce (1/5 teaspoon) Prague Powder #1
  • 4 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Please note that you have to do each chunk one at a time by measuring the cure mix for that chunk and putting it in its own bag so that it gets the exact amount of cure needed.

For one of the chunks, I added 1.5 ml of Berbere spice per kilogram to the cure for Berbere bacon. 

I put the pork on a plate and rubbed the curing mix in. Then I put the meat and any cure mix that fell onto the plate into a ziploc bag.

I calculated the length of time to cure the pork by my formula, 4 days for every inch of thickness plus 2 days. The thickest part of the pork was 2 1/2 inches so I cured it for 12 days by putting the bags in the fridge and turning them every day or two.

After the 12 days, I rinsed the pork off and soaked it in cold water for 40 minutes, changing the water once. Then I put it on a tray in the fridge overnight.

I put a grating of pepper over one of the chunks for pepper bacon.

I put it in my pellets smoker with the smoker turned off and my A-Maze-N Tube smoker loaded with hickory. I smoked it for six to seven hours.

I put the bacon in the fridge overnight.

The next day I preheated my pellet smoker to 180 F and smoked the bacon to an internal temperature of 140 F.

I covered the bacon and put it in the fridge for 2 days. Then I sliced it up.

Of course, I had to sample each kind for quality control before I packaged it up.

The Verdict

I am really happy with this batch of bacon. It has a great salt/cure/sweet balance. I went really light on the Berbere spice and pepper as my sister in law is not into spicy and they gave just an interesting note to the bacon they were used on.

I hope my family likes it as much as I do.

Disco

Disco That is some really nice looking Bacon,I would enjoy that with some over easy eggs Points for another great post

Richie

icon14.gif

Looks like the breakfast of champions if you ask me! Great work!Thumbs Up

Looks wonderful, Disco! I've been making SWMBO the basic Morton TQ stuff for a while now and she eats it faster than I can cure it, so I've been hesitant to try something more, but that looks too good not to try, especially the smoking part!
Seems like a lot of math, but I'll struggle through it.
I've been informed that we're out, so this weekend I think I'll get some loin and try it both ways. [emoji]128578[/emoji]
Point for another excellent post!
Dan

Disco That is some really nice looking Bacon,I would enjoy that with some over easy eggs Points for another great post

Richie

icon14.gif
Thanks, Richie. It is a favourite.
Looks like the breakfast of champions if you ask me! Great work!
icon14.gif
Well, the breakfast of fat old Canadians. Thanks, B1.
Looks wonderful, Disco! I've been making SWMBO the basic Morton TQ stuff for a while now and she eats it faster than I can cure it, so I've been hesitant to try something more, but that looks too good not to try, especially the smoking part!
Seems like a lot of math, but I'll struggle through it.
I've been informed that we're out, so this weekend I think I'll get some loin and try it both ways. [emoji]128578[/emoji]
Point for another excellent post!
Dan
Thanks, Dan. I would really look forward to a side by side comparison with the TQ. I do both too.

Another outstanding post Disco.  And thank you for taking time doing the archaic soul measurements!  Very helpful! POINT

B

Another outstanding post Disco.  And thank you for taking time doing the archaic soul measurements!  Very helpful! POINT

B
Thanks, Brian! I was being unkind. I don't do all metric myself. I still use inches and feet.

Great job Disco, I am going to make these, I always see loins at my store for great prices, thanks for the idea. Points!
I think you will like them Red! Thanks for the point!

Looks Delish!  Nice Job Disco- wonderful write up.   You guys are sure making it easier for those who are looking for tutorials.

They'll love it, Disco!!
icon14.gif

Looks Mighty Tasty!
drool.gif

Great Thread !!
icon14.gif

Points.

Bear
Thanks, Bear. They have tried it now and spoke kindly of the product.

I appreciate the point!

Looks Delish!  Nice Job Disco- wonderful write up.   You guys are sure making it easier for those who are looking for tutorials.
Har. It was Bearcarver's tutorials that got me started on bacon. Thanks for the kind words.
One question why smoke it then cook to 140 another day?
It gives the bacon more time to pick up smoke flavour. The first day is just to put some smoke on it. I find if I do that and let it sit over night before doing the final smoke, I get a stronger but smoother smoke taste.

Last edited:

Thanks for the effort and detail. I have been wanting to try this and will now feel more confident.
It can't be too hard, I do it! If you would like to give it a try, I and others would be happy to help. You might want to check out Bearcarver's tutorials as well.
Great looking bacon Disco!
Thanks, Mike! Very kind!

What brand of Kosher salt do you use, Disco? I've heard there's a difference. Some recipes specify Diamond Crystal...
I use Mortons. I do know some have different consistencies and you have to adjust for some recipes. This particular recipe wouldn't be too sensitive to that as I don't use as much salt as some others and I think there is little chance of it being to salty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky