Back Bacon.....first attempt!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thebigman65

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
This has been in the freezer for a few months.....going to rub it up as soon as it defrosts! :)
20190831_082541.jpg

I'd inject it so it gets cured to the center... You should inject anything that is over ~2" thick....
mix up...
1.1 grams cure#1 per pound of meat
1.8 % salt per pound of meat
1% sugar per pound of meat
Put the above in 10% weight of soup stock (pork, chicken or vegetable) based on weight of hunk of meat you are curing...
inject it all at 1.5" intervals in all directions along the meat...
Refer for ~6 days in a zip bag.. turn often....
I prefer vegetable stock.... Use NO SALT stock...
This is a loin I did in the last few weeks... Came out awesome...

Loin 1 002.JPG .... 001.JPG

Reactions: jcam222
Fair warning. Once you start you will be making your own all the time. This is the gateway bacon.
Lol....oh I've already made plenty of belly bacon.....but my lovely wife loves back (canadian) bacon so.....off I go!

I'd inject it so it gets cured to the center... You should inject anything that is over ~2" thick....
mix up...
1.1 grams cure#1 per pound of meat
1.8 % salt per pound of meat
1% sugar per pound of meat
Put the above in 10% weight of soup stock (pork, chicken or vegetable) based on weight of hunk of meat you are curing...
inject it all at 1.5" intervals in all directions along the meat...
Refer for ~6 days in a zip bag.. turn often....
I prefer vegetable stock.... Use NO SALT stock...
I think it will flatten out a bit once I take it out of the vacuum sealed bag.....I will see....I was going to try Bear's dry cure if it's not to thick....otherwise i will go with a brine cure and inject it.....

So as of this Sunday it will have been in the cure for 12 days.....its looking pretty good. For a 2.5" thickness, i think 12 days should be good. Should I cut the sections in the middle to make sure the have cured. If so, do I have to do all of them?

So today was the day.....pulled the lions from the cure....rinsed them good and ried them good.....let them dry out in the smoker for a couple hours at 130 degrees......boosted temp to 150 and smoked with hickory for about 6 hours....then raised temp to 170 and cooked to IT of about 143....just pulled them and they look great!

Attachments

• 20190915_191716.jpg
    20190915_191716.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 33
Next step is to wrap them and let them cool in the fridge for a couple days. Then slices em up!

Thanks to Bearcarver Bearcarver for his detailed instructions!

Looks good , I got a belly soaking now, was wondering when I coat it in pepper? Before I put in fridge for pelical to form or after it sits in fridge overnite. and goes into smoker? Thanks

So as of this Sunday it will have been in the cure for 12 days.....its looking pretty good. For a 2.5" thickness, i think 12 days should be good. Should I cut the sections in the middle to make sure the have cured. If so, do I have to do all of them?
Hi! what type of cure did you use? Dry or brine + inject?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky