Babybacks vs. Country style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here's my whole slabs of CSR's smoked like ribs but there are no bones :D (slabs of meat cut from a pork butt)
woxvck2-png.png

Here's some St Louis done at the same time to compare:
notqcpl-jpg.jpg

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I trimmed a rack of spare ribs into what looked like perfect St Louis style. I smoked them along with a rack of baby backs last Saturday.The flavor and texture was awesome but there were still 2 or 3 little round pieces of cartilage which I didn’t care for in the spares. Is it possible to get all of this out on St. Louis cut or did I not cut quite close enough to the bones? Thanks for the help!

The 1st 5 bones from the rib end of a pork loin were made into CSRs.

Yes'sir, those are the true pork CSR's.
Yup . Never see them around here anymore , but that's the real deal . The skill and knowledge of the meat cutting trade is becoming a lost art . Now it's based on the term or style of the cut .
I like spares . I buy the 3 pack from GFS . They have the brisket flap still attached . I trim one rack into St. Louis and just clean the other 2 up . I save all the clean trim and grind it .
This is from a 3 pack I did last week . Owens garlic caraway summer sausage from 1 1/2 pounds of rib trim .
20220831_074104.jpg
Mixed .
20220831_075019.jpg

Great texture and color . No added fat . Just all spare rib trim .
20220904_104801.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
2 or 3 little round pieces of cartilage which I didn’t care for in the spares. Is it possible to get all of this out on St. Louis cut or did I not cut quite close enough to the bones? Thanks for the help!
You have to find the separation . You just didn't quite get it . Should be nothing to cut through but meat .
It's really defined on the rack on the left . You can see the line of fat that runs the length of the rib . That's where you would cut if you want it off . You just have to look for it and feel where the bones are .
1663764608461.jpeg

Reactions: Nodak21
OK, My exact thought on the subject:
#1 My Favorite is Beef Ribs.
#2 Second favorite is BabyBacks, but I never buy them, because they are too costly around here.
#3 CSRs (Shoulder with bones & fat)
#4 CSRs from loin.
#5 Spare Ribs (Full---Not St Louis cut) Probably what I've bought most.

Bear

I do babybacks (my favorites). I do 2h vertical, 1hr 25m wrapped with wet feet and 35 to 45min to finish. I always rub in a couple drops of honey on the rack before the dry rub. I do various finish sauces and sometimes no sauce at all till it gets to the table. Take your pic. I like Hunky's Sweet Heat or GPR rub as a base.

Last edited:
I trimmed a rack of spare ribs into what looked like perfect St Louis style. I smoked them along with a rack of baby backs last Saturday.The flavor and texture was awesome but there were still 2 or 3 little round pieces of cartilage which I didn’t care for in the spares. Is it possible to get all of this out on St. Louis cut or did I not cut quite close enough to the bones? Thanks for the help!
Not sure I have a great answer for you but I do know that if you but away ALL cartilage to where there is none at the end of the bones, you will likely have a very thin rack in width if its just hard bones.

Reactions: chopsaw and TNJAKE
Not sure I have a great answer for you but I do know that if you cut away ALL cartilage to where there is none at the end of the bones, you will likely have a very thin rack in width if its just hard bones.
That's true . I guess I didn't really think about his question .
These are the ribs I posted above . Be pretty narrow bones with all the nubs removed .
1663792960526.jpeg

Reactions: tallbm
Not sure I have a great answer for you but I do know that if you but away ALL cartilage to where there is none at the end of the bones, you will likely have a very thin rack in width if its just hard bones.
Great advice. I appreciate the honesty. I guess I am with you guys in favoring St. Louis or spares. My wife is in the camp of baby backs simply because of the lack of little cartilage pieces

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky