Baby Ray's for base sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kdfiter

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Wi
I've been experimenting for years on making sauces and it seems like using baby Ray's for my main base has worked out best for me ..I've tried every ketchup out there which were good sauces but it just seems like using baby Ray's for a base they turn out the best for me..so if using babys Ray's just for a base can u still call it homemade sauce..I've also tried tomato paste with no succes

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Sweet baby Rays , brown sugar , red wine vinegar , yellow mustard and a couple shots of bourbon .

I use a good amount of KC Masterpiece in my sauce. That's the flavor that everyone here likes. It's not the base, but it changes the flavor of the sauce.
Al

hell u can call it anything you like! who is gonna dispute. Certainly no rebuke from here. We use whatever to get our q to taste like WE want it........you modify it, its YOURS.
That's what I was thinking
I use a good amount of KC Masterpiece in my sauce. That's the flavor that everyone here likes. It's not the base, but it changes the flavor of the sauce.
Al
I might have to get a bottle..I havnt hav Kc in years

I do the smoking and wife makes the sauce. She starts with Baby Ray's Original and then does some secret things to it. Whatever it is, it is good.

I do the SBR's Sweet 'n Spicy and cut it with Apple cider vinegar to taste.

Does anyone use Famous Dave's? that was my favorite but had to go out of my way to find it. that's when I started with the Baby Ray's

I will shamelessly admit I like original Kraft BBQ sauce on chicken. Dunno what it is? Something in the way it thickens and carmelizes. I haven't been able to get SBR's to act the same. Sure is tasty though! More experimentation is in order...

Reactions: chef jimmyj
There is a local wing joint that has a spicy bbq that I absolutely LOVE. The last time I made deep fried chicken wings I tossed some in bowl with FD's Devil Spit. Fantastic!

REMY XO for sipping but can't be without Christen Brothers for cooking. It does add that something, others I've tried don't.

browneyesvictim browneyesvictim Had to laugh at Kraft Original! That is what Dad used growing up and you Nailed It! NOTHING tastes the same on Char Grilled Chicken!

I like sweet but Baby Ray's was too sweet for me. I make my own Sweet KC style sauce most often but an Emergency KC Masterpiece is always in the refer...JJ

Reactions: browneyesvictim
browneyesvictim browneyesvictim Had to laugh at Kraft Original! That is what Dad used growing up and you Nailed It! NOTHING tastes the same on Char Grilled Chicken!

Any guesses what the difference might be? I've tried numerous home-made and store-bought sauces and cant figure it out. I thought for sure it was the kind of sugar used- ie. corn sugar vs cane sugar... My trial and error (unscientific)approach says nope!

Not likely the sweetener, HFCS was commercially available by the mid 60's.
I really have no idea what the magic is in Kraft. Been a lot of years since I've had it. Until I started making my own KC Masterpiece was what we used...JJ

If you find something you like, that's all that matters. I did however, finally get into making my own from scratch. The family favorite is Rum Sweet Heat. See the sig below.

Reactions: kdfiter
I often use Sweet Baby Rays - just add about 20 to 25% apple cider vinegar and away we go.

It is a decent sauce and when I am out of our homemade favorite, we grab SBR's and tune it up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky