Baby Backs on the MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ryanhoelzer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Converse, TX
Getting ready to throw some baby backs on the MES. I'm going to go with my new favorite 2-3-1 as seen here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=91822

In that experiment I actually started them on the Char Broil and then moved to the MES, I'm doing these completely on the MES but I'm going to use a little lump along with the chips.

I got these from a local meat store. Their prices are higher than WM, Sams, etc but these look like a really good slab of ribs. They're IBP but I don't see a grade on them.

Using a friend's rub that has a pretty good kick so using it sparingly.

babybacks.jpg

babybacklabel.jpg

babybacksrubbed.jpg

Personally I think 2-3-1 will be too much time in the foil for baby backs. You will have to play with this with your smoker and temps. In my MES I am typically go 2-1.5-1. I dont like ribs completely falling apart though either.

Here they are after 2 hrs on the grate, before going into foil. I'm using foil pans instead of foil wrapping. Anyone ever compared to see if there's any difference?

babybacksat2hrs.jpg

In my experiment I really liked 3 hrs in the foil, they were pretty much falling off the bone though, depends how you like them. I'm doing these at 240 in the MES, last time I was at 230.

I keep saying I'm going to use a spreadsheet or database to track these but that's part of why I do these detailed threads, I can look back at them to see what I did and how it worked out..

Here they are at 5 hrs, going back on the grate. They're going to be falling off the bone, I think the time back on the grate will firm them up a little though.

Maybe next time I'll try 2-2.5-1.

babybacksat5hrs.jpg

Well by the looks of thoses I don't think you have done a very good job so I think you should shoot them down here to Fla. Then I'll finish them and let you know how they came out. No yours look fabulous and I bet they will be really tastey too.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I got sidetracked eating and never finished my post.. They turned out pretty good but not as good flavor as when I started on charcoal/lump. They were falling off the bone which is how I like them. I'll cut the foil time down a little next time and see how much difference it makes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky