Baby Back Ribs!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
First post so this may be a newbie question, but what is the advantage of putting mustard on before the rub. Most of the recipes I have seen just go straight to rub.

Doing my first BB ribs tomorrow so want to get prepped :)

First post so this may be a newbie question, but what is the advantage of putting mustard on before the rub. Most of the recipes I have seen just go straight to rub.

Doing my first BB ribs tomorrow so want to get prepped :)
I put Yellow Mustard on Pork, before the Rub, to help the Rub to stick better.

I put Worcestershire (Thick) on Beef first for the same reason.

Believe it or not, you don't taste the Mustard.

Bear

Very nice lookin' ribs, Bear.  My technique is very similar, although I like to foil wrap them for only about an hour near the end.  I pull them out of the foil, and throw on some extra apple or pecan wood chunks to finish them with a little more smoke at around 250 deg.  I also like to apply a mop sauce to mine throughout cooking, just a little apple juice, apple cider vinegar, a shot of whiskey and a generous spoonful of dry rub.

Making me hungry just thinking about it.  What are the benefits of double wrapping in foil vs. a single wrap?

I had guest last night that came at my house to eat.

I've made some baby back ribs using your step by step guide.

They were amazing!!!!!

Thanks bear!

I had guest last night that came at my house to eat.

I've made some baby back ribs using your step by step guide.

They were amazing!!!!!

Thanks bear!
Thanks Alex!!!

I'm real glad you liked them!!
icon14.gif

Bear

Baby Back Ribs!!!

From back when I was AWOL:
These are the first Baby Backs I've done in a long time, because this is the first time I've seen them under $5 a pound around here in a long time!!!
Here is a real easy to follow Step by Step for any newbies who may like that kind of thing (One of many ways to smoke BB Ribs):

Day #1 (Buy & Prep)
I bought 4 racks, froze two, and here are the other two.
So I removed the membranes, and rinsed & dried them.
Coated with yellow mustard & Rub.
Then I wrapped them in plastic wrap, and into the fridge over night.

Day #2 (Time to smoke):
11:00AM----------Fill 2 rows of my AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and lit one end.
11:25AM----------Put AMNPS in MES 40, and pre-heat to 225˚.
12:00PM----------Put Ribs on 2nd position in smoker.
2:30PM------------Double Foil Ribs with the following juice mixture:

Foil Mixture:
Apple Juice------------------------------4 ounces
Ken's Honey Teriyaki Marinade-------2 ounces
JD BBQ Sauce--------------------------2 ounces

2:30PM-------------Also removed AMNPS.
3:00PM-------------Bump heat up to 250˚.
4:45PM-------------Kill heat.
5:00PM-------------Take pics, cut up Ribs, and eat.

These were pretty much "Fall off the bone", which is the way most peeps around here like them.
I like them any way I can get them!!! lol.gif

Thanks for looking,
Bear

Best price ($3.99) we've had around here in a long time (Note the regular price---$5.99):
View attachment 340671

Pretty little guys, at just over 3 pounds a piece:
View attachment 340672

One with Rub:
View attachment 340673

Other with Rub:
View attachment 340674

Just about ready for foiling:
View attachment 340675

Fresh out of the double foil---MMMmmmmm.........
Juice in bowl from both packages, and ready to separate the fat in fridge:
View attachment 340676

First rack:
View attachment 340677

Second rack:
View attachment 340679

Close shot of a couple of nice meaty Ribs:
View attachment 340680

Bears first helping:
View attachment 340681
Hey Bear, I got an MES for Father's Day this Year BEST GIFT EVER!! and shortly afterward found your step by step guide and we have been in smoker heaven ever since. Down side is now I have inlaws, outlaws and everyone in between showing up . I'm going to do some baby backs this weekend and will probably need 4 racks to calm the crowd. Any recommendations on how to adjust for the extra racks from your posted recipes (cooking time, temperatures or how to gauge when I should foil). Any help appreciated
Faithful disciple
Kevin

Hey Bear, I got an MES for Father's Day this Year BEST GIFT EVER!! and shortly afterward found your step by step guide and we have been in smoker heaven ever since. Down side is now I have inlaws, outlaws and everyone in between showing up . I'm going to do some baby backs this weekend and will probably need 4 racks to calm the crowd. Any recommendations on how to adjust for the extra racks from your posted recipes (cooking time, temperatures or how to gauge when I should foil). Any help appreciated
Faithful disciple
Kevin

Hi Kevin!!
Glad you're having a Good time with Great Food.
It shouldn't be much different with a couple more Racks, other than maybe you should rotate the racks, since you'll be using more than one smoking rack.
And it might take a little longer due to having the door open longer when foiling & moving racks around. You could raise the Smoker temp about 20° higher too.
Here's the other "BabyBack Ribs" Smoke I did. They were Great !!
Baby Back Ribs

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky