Baby Back Ribs with LOTS of Q/View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great!!!
Thanks Dirt!!
Ribs look Great!!!! Beautiful !!!!

What's the 38 to 55 thing?----Am I missing something?

I take all my meats from fridge right to smoker.

Thanks,

Bear
Thanks a bunch Bear.  You arent missing anything, the 38-55 is just my personal preference on getting them on the smoker.  I dont like taking meat straight from the fridge to the heat for a few reasons....temp loss is one of them.  Just like alot of people do the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1, whether to foil or not, etc.  I just throw mine on there for just over 5 hours and after 2 hours I start to spray them down for the remaining 3.

Man, those turned out great! Looks very tasty...nicely done!

Red
Hey Red, thank you kindly 
icon_biggrin.gif
  They are all gone so it's gotta account for something!

Thanks a bunch Bear.  You arent missing anything, the 38-55 is just my personal preference on getting them on the smoker.  I dont like taking meat straight from the fridge to the heat for a few reasons....temp loss is one of them.  Just like alot of people do the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1, whether to foil or not, etc.  I just throw mine on there for just over 5 hours and after 2 hours I start to spray them down for the remaining 3.
OK, gotcha!!

Just make sure the various meats go from 40 IT to 140 IT, in no less than 4 hours, with a few exceptions.

Bear

Those really look great!  Glad to see some body try the no foil for ribs.  Made me drool!
drool.gif

Kat
Hey thanks Kat!!  I used the 2-2-1 for BB's when I first started smoking........but after a while I just said what the hell and gave it a shot without foiling and I'm sooo happy I did.  They have a completely different texture (more bark on the outside), and the meat is so tender its crazy.  I never have liked fall off the bone ribs, I like to see my bite-mark after tearing into them 
smile.gif

OK, gotcha!!

Just make sure the various meats go from 40 IT to 140 IT, in no less than 4 hours, with a few exceptions.

Bear
Yessir, I know all bout the danger zone.  I have been cooking professionally for 15 years.  Just a newbie to the smoking world.  I first got into it 2 years ago thanks to all of you on the forum.  After seeing and reading posts from people such as yourself, Squib, JarJar and Scarbelly I decided to give it a whirl.  I couldnt be more thankful I made that leap!  Everyone here has been absolutely incredible! 
beercheer.gif

Yessir, I know all bout the danger zone.  I have been cooking professionally for 15 years.  Just a newbie to the smoking world.  I first got into it 2 years ago thanks to all of you on the forum.  After seeing and reading posts from people such as yourself, Squib, JarJar and Scarbelly I decided to give it a whirl.  I couldnt be more thankful I made that leap!  Everyone here has been absolutely incredible! 
beercheer.gif
OK, Great!!  Just checking!

You're good to go---Keep up the Great work!!!

Bear

I have a CG Pro as well.  All I suggest doing are the standard mods (smoke stack tube extension, charcoal basket, baffle plates).  Throw an old army surplus wool blanket over the top and use balled up tinfoil as gaskets all around the lid.  Keep the lid closed, no peeking (that's the hard one).  I took it one step futher by making a closed loop PID forced draft system for mine.  That made life simple.  I have smoked in 20 degree weather with a wicked cold North wind blowin', no problem.  I also use a makeshift plywood wind break, that helps as well.

I have a CG Pro as well.  All I suggest doing are the standard mods (smoke stack tube extension, charcoal basket, baffle plates).  Throw an old army surplus wool blanket over the top and use balled up tinfoil as gaskets all around the lid.  Keep the lid closed, no peeking (that's the hard one).  I took it one step futher by making a closed loop PID forced draft system for mine.  That made life simple.  I have smoked in 20 degree weather with a wicked cold North wind blowin', no problem.  I also use a makeshift plywood wind break, that helps as well.
Did you make a post by chance on the mods you did?  My main issue is all of the spots on it where heat is lost.  There are so many holes on each side of the cooking chamber as well as underneath the SFB.  I have seen before on a couple mods where ppl take aluminum foil to create a better seal on the lid.  My issue is, that when the lid is closed, it doesnt go flush.....the lid is shifted to the right about 3/4".  I've got so many questions!!  What did you use for the baffle plates?  Right now I just have the charcoal tray flipped over inside the cooking chamber to act as a baffle.  I want to move the stack to the right side for reverse flow.  Any ideas or tips would be EXTREMELY appreciated.  Thank you in advance for the help!

Ribs look great SF!

I have a CG Pro in my garage - don't use it much since I bought the WSM.  Ash builds up real bad in these and also the air vents aren't big enough.  I sometimes had to crack open the ash pan to get the temps up.  Be sure to keep that ash pan emptied too, especially with briquettes!

Again, great job on the ribs.

P.S. - Does your wife know you call her ol' lady?  
biggrin.gif
  heh, heh

Bill

Ribs look great SF!

I have a CG Pro in my garage - don't use it much since I bought the WSM.  Ash builds up real bad in these and also the air vents aren't big enough.  I sometimes had to crack open the ash pan to get the temps up.  Be sure to keep that ash pan emptied too, especially with briquettes!

Again, great job on the ribs.

P.S. - Does your wife know you call her ol' lady?  
biggrin.gif
  heh, heh

Bill
Thanks PG!!  Yeah I'm not too thrilled with the CG, way too much maintenance and work needed to put into it for it to perform half decent.  I usually use lump so the ash problem isnt as bad as with briquettes, but I do keep up on the emptying of it.  I know what ya mean about cracking open the SFB to get temps back up, seems like when using CC, it goes out way too fast and I dont get any time out of it.  Next weekend I will definitely be making a few mods to it.  When I had my Duo with SFB I never used any kinda charcoal, just wood.  I'm leaning more towards going that route again especially if I have to deal with the CG Pro too much longer      

Gunner.gif

About the Mrs......she knows I throw out the "ol' lady" every once in a while. I cant help it, I was born and raised in VA by my grandparents, so needless to say I got a real old school upbringing!  Thats something my grandfather always called my grandma so it just kinda stuck.  Glad she doesnt mind it though 
icon_lol.gif

About the Mrs......she knows I throw out the "ol' lady" every once in a while. I cant help it, I was born and raised in VA by my grandparents, so needless to say I got a real old school upbringing!  Thats something my grandfather always called my grandma so it just kinda stuck.  Glad she doesnt mind it though 
icon_lol.gif
Where in VA were you raised?

Those are some fine looking ribs
drool.gif

X2 on either Royal Oak lump or Stubb's briquettes. I use the Stubb's for low and slow and the lump for everything else.
Thank you Toby!!  I'll definitely be sticking with Royal Oak.  I like how hot it burns and I get a good bit of time out of it.  Problem has been my CG Pro, so many holes in it from the manufacturer and I havent had time enough to make a few mods to it yet.  Hopefully here in the next couple of months I'll be able to get it tweaked enough to hold temps.  Thanks for checkin them out!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky