B & B charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
Since purchasing my Masterbuilt 560 I have used both Royal Oak Lump and B & B Lump. Mostly because these are on the shelf at the local Krogers and Ace hardware. I quit using Royal Oak Lump after trying B & B Lump. I am thinking of trying the B & B Char-Logs or B & B Briquettes. The Char-Logs or B & B briquettes would have to be ordered ship to store and was wondering which is more preferable. Briquettes or Char-Logs?

I can’t answeryour question but I can say that for charcoal I only use B&B lump. I have never found a hint of construction or furniture scrap. It burns hot and clean. A+ stuff

I like the B & B lump. It doesn't stack well in the 560 hopper though. Big air gaps. I'm thinking the hopper filled with Char-Logs or briquettes will give me longer times between refills on long smokes.

Reactions: jcam222
I like the B & B lump. It doesn't stack well in the 560 hopper though. Big air gaps. I'm thinking the hopper filled with Char-Logs or briquettes will give me longer times between refills on long smokes.

I have used the Char Logs.

Biggest gripe is that they leave a lot of ash .

I have burned them to the point to where the entire log was ash. In other words, imagine one of the logs starting out black, and then after if had burned fully, it's roughly the same size, same shape, same everything. even has the hole in it, but now, it's gray or white. And it's all powdered ash. So you're left with a lot of ash.

Aside from that though, they burn long and they burn hot. You can definitely re light the leftover portion which has not been burned.

Reactions: whistlepig
Since purchasing my Masterbuilt 560 I have used both Royal Oak Lump and B & B Lump. Mostly because these are on the shelf at the local Krogers and Ace hardware. I quit using Royal Oak Lump after trying B & B Lump. I am thinking of trying the B & B Char-Logs or B & B Briquettes. The Char-Logs or B & B briquettes would have to be ordered ship to store and was wondering which is more preferable. Briquettes or Char-Logs?
I am fairly new to the 560, but comparing kings Ford to B&B I can say for sure my best cooks have been with B&B. I found their competition Oak briquette at Academy Sports.

Attachments

• 1512DC5D-09E8-403E-8C19-3AEE49E53784.jpeg
    1512DC5D-09E8-403E-8C19-3AEE49E53784.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 5
If you can still get it Weber briquettes are top notch. Extra large briqs and they burn forever with very little ash. Heard they're going to be discontinued or already are.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky