aussie ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johno

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
texas , queensland
just getting some ribs ready to cook later today and i thought i would put up a few pics to show you guys the sort of thing i get here , you will notice there is not much rib bone at all but a lot of other stuff there all edible , this rack was 4.460 kilos ( 9.8 pound ) befor i skinned it and trimmed some of the fat , and it is now 3.1 kilos (6.8 pound ) rubbed and ready to go in the weber later on , this is a bought rib not cheap here either this one cost me $32.00 au . when i get around to killing some of my own pigs which will be in the next week or so i will be breaking down the carcass with big long rib bones in mind and shorter chops .
f22e5325_vbattach11909.jpg

18059179_vbattach11908.jpg

c91dd125_vbattach11907.jpg

Looks good Johno
icon_cool.gif
. That one pic in the middle almost looks like a picture of a pork belly? Is that skin? or a fat cap?

cajun yeah that is skin and with the nipples , thats the only way i can get any thing of a good size , the upper part of the ribs in australia all go pork chops , so to ask for that section of the ribs would cost far to much , what part of the pig do you guys get when you ask for spare ribs is it the belly or lower part of the ribs , or is it the top or backbone end of the ribs .

i just rubbed down 2 racks that look similar to yours almost 5# apiece get them at walmart for about $17.00usd for a 2 pack

Johno -

I buy ribs that look like that but they cut the belly skin off before we buy them. I think alot of the prude up here would freak if they had naked pig nipples showing! LOL

PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

hey linescum dont suppose you could send me a few dozen, actualy i dont think aussie customs would let them in anyway .

yep that is a lot of skin and i have 4 of those great slabs of skin in the freezer now have to find an idea for em , i just made up a glaze for the ribs, i have never done a glaze befor , found a recipe honey mustard cider vin , some of the rub and some jack d , now i dont have jack d and probably never will , i only have the good stuff so i put some of that in , ( GLENFIDDICHS malt scotch whiskey ) may be a crime to use it for cooking but anything in the name of good ribs is pardonable.

yeah probably could deep fry them but it would wreck the oil , i thought i would wait untill the wife is baking some thing in the gas oven in the kitchen and maybe lay one of the skins on a spare shelf in there scored and rubbed with some salt make some crackling.(well thats what its called here )

3.2.1. and they are out, could of done with more smoke , also could of done with another half hour cook , my temps dropped to much for the last hour of the cook,also the honey mustard glaze took to much kick away from the rub because of its sweetness. i like the magic dust rub recipe that i am useing , so next time there will be no honey glaze , just need to find a sauce that i like maybe . anyway i'm learning more and more with each cook . this weber kettle takes a long time to get the heat back up when it drops , the briquettes take forever to produce the goods . more insentive to get my offset built.
d2e03c1d_vbattach11915.jpg

cd4fac91_vbattach11914.jpg

Looks good to me Johno
icon_wink.gif
I can't believe Monty hasn't said something about the Glenfiddich? I believe it's his drink of choice
icon_cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky