Auger motor stopped

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tonybsmokin

Original poster
May 19, 2020
I hsve a new Oklahoma Joes ryder dxl . A gear in the motor broke. Cant be fixed. Under warranty still , waiting since June 2020. They told me twice its covered. They gave me 2 shop dates both times they didn't ship it . Anyway I purchased it on Amazon . The only motor I could find was for pit boss/ trager smokers . It fit exactly like original part . 25 dollars on Amazon. Folk don't wait for 3 months like I did .

Yes they do. And believe it or not thats what the lady at Oklahoma joes told me . She said they are out of stock and are waiting for a ship to come in from China.

While I certainly appreciate Smokin'Al's point (and there's certainly poetic beauty in simplicity), our "little-stick burners" have few enough moving parts (or problem parts like igniters) that one can keep a shoebox of them on hand for the occasional failure...like a spare tank of propane. And if you order in advance from the "slow boat from China" eBay or Amazon suppliers, none are going to cost you more than a tank of propane either.

So, TonyBsmokin', was it at the start of a cook that the reduction gearbox stripped on that auger motor? Or in the middle of a cook?

While I certainly appreciate Smokin'Al's point (and there's certainly poetic beauty in simplicity), our "little-stick burners" have few enough moving parts (or problem parts like igniters) that one can keep a shoebox of them on hand for the occasional failure...like a spare tank of propane. And if you order in advance from the "slow boat from China" eBay or Amazon suppliers, none are going to cost you more than a tank of propane either.

So, TonyBsmokin', was it at the start of a cook that the reduction gearbox stripped on that auger motor? Or in the middle of a cook?
It was

It was at the start

The reason I ask is I suspect your auger itself is stuck. Before installing and powering up the replacement (and risk stripping its gears as well) make sure the auger turns freely.
I always empty my pellet hopper right before I pull my meat, and then purge my auger to empty with the Temp reset to a high setting. I always store my unit empty, and then run the auger in the "prime" setting for at least a couple full revolutions before adding pellets at my next cook. (I time the revolutions too to make sure they're reproducible and consistent.)
I think a lot of auger jams happen when a little moisture gets the into remaining pellets, still in the auger during storage, and pretty much welds the auger to the feed tube.
Just a suggestion.

The reason I ask is I suspect your auger itself is stuck. Before installing and powering up the replacement (and risk stripping its gears as well) make sure the auger turns freely.
I always empty my pellet hopper right before I pull my meat, and then purge my auger to empty with the Temp reset to a high setting. I always store my unit empty, and then run the auger in the "prime" setting for at least a couple full revolutions before adding pellets at my next cook. (I time the revolutions too to make sure they're reproducible and consistent.)
I think a lot of auger jams happen when a little moisture gets the into remaining pellets, still in the auger during storage, and pretty much welds the auger to the feed tube.
Just a suggestion.

Yes thanks , i pulled the auger out , nothing there is was free spinning. I dont understand why the gear broke. But its up and running again. I smoked a 8.5 lb pork butter yesterday.

Reactions: bill1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky