Attic smoker built in the house fireplace chimney

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wag146

Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Eastern MA
Hi everyone,

I didn't know where else to turn. I'm looking for a history buff that can tell me something about this smoker that is built into the chimney in the attic. It was built in the 1800's era. It still bears the nails that hold the meat inside, it has a steel door and a wooden door that seal the whole thing. I will get a picture if anyone is interested. I would like to use it if I could find out anything about it. Thanks  

Bill

I would like to see some pics also.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

I thought about that one time, and the first word that came to mind was "Creosote".

I guess if you know what you're doing it would be OK.

Bear

welcome1.gif
 to SMF Wag! I'm glad you joined us.
yahoo.gif
 You will find this a great place for increasing your BBQ knowledge
grilling_smilie.gif
, from a bunch of great people. Have fun and Happy Smoking.          
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

I hope this finds everyone. This is my attic smoker. Sorry the date is wrong inserted new batteries
9f3e8454_116_3287.jpg
b4710bd7_116_3288.jpg
df028b8f_116_3290.jpg
d908d382_116_3292.jpg
e9bfb38d_116_3289.jpg
5dcf80d1_116_3293.jpg

Cool.... but I would definately be concerned with ruining a bunch of meat due to creasote. I would just buy or make a more modern smoker and have at it! Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing a cool neat piece of history with us.

Very cool. I'd like to know more about it.

Is there only one inlet/out let? and is there a damper to keep the smoke out? Is the hole in the corner the chimney flue or a pipe to the main flue?

Funny it so clean, like it's never been used. I noticed some repointing around the upper wood rods so someone took care of it at some point.............Dang you got my curiosity up. I'd love to see it get used if we could figure it out. more pic's !!!

Dan, I only saw one inlet and no damper. Best I can see is the fire and smoke comes from the main fireplace. This is an 1800's one about 6 feet wide and 5 feet tall like the one the pilgrims used to cook with cast iron pots and pans that swing into the fire (coals). I'll get more pictures and do a smoke test. were passing papers this week. The house was built in 1750 and has 7 fireplaces.

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky