Attention great minds of SMF!!! I need advice on a build!!!! with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teeznuts

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Central Cali
Since my early 20's I loved to cross the San Diego border into Mexico or take the cruise ships to ensenada for authentic tacos al pastor. Due to the increase in violence and craziness there now, I no longer go for taco runs. This is causing serious withdrawals. I was wondering if you guys could help me recreate something similar to this.

70f5ecb8_Tacos-al-Pastor.jpg

But on a smaller scale, kind of like this.

4aa46210_yhst-18461728116681_2198_9728003.jpg

My idea is to pick up a 55 gallon half drum like this.

a420619e_halfdrum.jpg

Stand it upright with a heat element sort of like this( don't laught, I never claimed to be an artist)

d7b6b472_alpastorbuild1.jpg

And use something similar to this(which I already have) mounted vertically instead of horizontal.

f306ca05_rotisserie.jpg

My problem is figuring what to use for a heat source. Are there propane broiler type heat sources available that can be mounted vertical in order to make my taco dreams a reality?????? Sure you can do this horizontally over a gas grill but the trick to tacos al pastor is the pineapple slices that are often mounted above the meat. The juice drips down and does some carmelizing as the heat hits it. YUMM!!!!!

Any input is greatly appreciated.

i like the idea..........not sure on the heating element source.

what about a propane grill element mounted in there.............HD has replacement parts................just a thought.

I have seen them use old space heaters in Mexico but just because they do dose not mean it is safe.  Al Pastor loosely translates into Shepperd's Taco because it was brought to Mexico by Sheep headers from the middle east.  My wife and I love Pork Al Pastor and wold kill to go across the border and get some authentic food again.  Traditional Al Pastor is not allowed here in Houston due to health code issues so most of what you get here is cooked on a griddle.  I have a good recipe I can post that I got from Robb Walsh's Tex Mex Cook Book.  I thing your best bet is to look for replacement propane burners and pipe it that way I would look for some of those old ceramic space heater tiles so it is authentic.  If the heat was below the fat would drip into the fire and effect the flavor you were looking for.  

Teez, afternoon,  They make infrared heaters that mount on a 5 gal propane bottle that might work.....

Mount it on the bottle and cut a hole in the back of the 1/2 drum to slide the heater into...

I'm still working on a good vertical drive for the spit...... I'm thinking .....
33.gif

....... gerbils on a tread mill would be cheap..
laugh1.gif

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

here's a motor ..... pretty pricey but new....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autodoner-G..._Grills_Griddles_Broilers&hash=item336b927a8d

Last edited:
My buddy Geoff built something similar for gyros. Here is a video of what he constructed.

I can get you some more info if you need it but it is fairly simple. A hot plate mounted vertically and a rotisserie plus the metal to frame it up. Worked great for him.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Keep the ideas coming
what about a propane grill element mounted in there.............HD has replacement parts................just a thought.
That was one of my original thoughts but as silly as this may sound, I wasnt sure if they would work sideways/vertical. Does the positioning matter?

I have seen them use old space heaters in Mexico but just because they do dose not mean it is safe.  Al Pastor loosely translates into Shepperd's Taco because it was brought to Mexico by Sheep headers from the middle east.  My wife and I love Pork Al Pastor and wold kill to go across the border and get some authentic food again.  Traditional Al Pastor is not allowed here in Houston due to health code issues so most of what you get here is cooked on a griddle.  I have a good recipe I can post that I got from Robb Walsh's Tex Mex Cook Book.  I thing your best bet is to look for replacement propane burners and pipe it that way I would look for some of those old ceramic space heater tiles so it is authentic.  If the heat was below the fat would drip into the fire and effect the flavor you were looking for.  
Im glad you know what I'm talking about. Al Pastor isn't the same unless it's done on a vertical spit. Please post the recipe. I want the flavor as close to authentic as I can get. I'm not sure I know what you mean on the space heater tiles. Where would I find them?

Teez, afternoon,  They make infrared heaters that mount on a 5 gal propane bottle that might work.....

Mount it on the bottle and cut a hole in the back of the 1/2 drum to slide the heater into...

I'm still working on a good vertical drive for the spit...... I'm thinking .....
33.gif

....... gerbils on a tread mill would be cheap..
laugh1.gif

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

here's a motor ..... pretty pricey but new....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autodoner-G..._Grills_Griddles_Broilers&hash=item336b927a8d
I want to try my master forge rotisserie and just turn it vertical to see if it works. The heater you're referring to, is there any safety reason it cant be used for cooking food? I'll throw the gerbils on the spit and put em in the tacos.

My buddy Geoff built something similar for gyros. Here is a video of what he constructed.

I can get you some more info if you need it but it is fairly simple. A hot plate mounted vertically and a rotisserie plus the metal to frame it up. Worked great for him.

I love the concept. Thats a determined friend you have. My only question would be does hot plate throw out enough heat to really get thigs cooking or did he pre-heat the meat elsewhere first? Also does the hot plate cycle on and off as it gets hot? I want constant heat.

Thanks again for all the ideas. Feel free to keep sharing em.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by teeznuts  

Quote:

I love the concept. Thats a determined friend you have. My only question would be does hot plate throw out enough heat to really get thigs cooking or did he pre-heat the meat elsewhere first? Also does the hot plate cycle on and off as it gets hot? I want constant heat.

Thanks again for all the ideas. Feel free to keep sharing em.

It does. I sent him a PM and he is using it again this weekend. He has been using it for 2 years now.

It does. I sent him a PM and he is using it again this weekend. He has been using it for 2 years now.

I still like the idea of a bigger build with propane but this sounds awesome for the meantime. Do you know how long it takes to get from raw to cooked enough to shave for gyros? Just curious on timing.

The heater you're referring to, is there any safety reason it cant be used for cooking food?

Teez, Are you selling the food ??  I don't know how infrared could contaminate food....  In the duck blind, we would cook food on them... 10 deg. , lemon pepper, bottle of wine... We braised so many breasts, gizzards, hearts and livers.... and it kept us warm too... 

I want to try my master forge rotisserie and just turn it vertical to see if it works.

It should as long as the spit is supported with a thrust bearing so as to not put undue stress on the motor and drive....

Do you know how long it takes to get from raw to cooked enough to shave for gyros?

I would think about 20 minutes.... The heat only has to penetrate about 1/8" to 3/16" for the first shave..... If you used a non-contact therm and got the surface to 150-160 that should be adequate for the heat to penetrate... then check the temp after the first shave to see what the meat temp is...  If you marinated the meat in a 150* deg solution with your spices etc. then put it on the spit, it would be ready instantly..... The outside would get like burnt ends maybe....

Gerbils... tacos....  I've heard of iguana tacos..... you may have "killer" idea there.....  Dave

The heater you're referring to, is there any safety reason it cant be used for cooking food?

Teez, Are you selling the food ??  I don't know how infrared could contaminate food....  In the duck blind, we would cook food on them... 10 deg. , lemon pepper, bottle of wine... We braised so many breasts, gizzards, hearts and livers.... and it kept us warm too... 

I want to try my master forge rotisserie and just turn it vertical to see if it works.

It should as long as the spit is supported with a thrust bearing so as to not put undue stress on the motor and drive....

Do you know how long it takes to get from raw to cooked enough to shave for gyros?

I would think about 20 minutes.... The heat only has to penetrate about 1/8" to 3/16" for the first shave..... If you used a non-contact therm and got the surface to 150-160 that should be adequate for the heat to penetrate... then check the temp after the first shave to see what the meat temp is...  If you marinated the meat in a 150* deg solution with your spices etc. then put it on the spit, it would be ready instantly..... The outside would get like burnt ends maybe....

Gerbils... tacos....  I've heard of iguana tacos..... you may have "killer" idea there.....  Dave
Thanks so much Dave! Food will just be for my own consumption and probably served at parties once family and friends figure out I have the set up. Do you have any brands or models you would direct me to on the infrared?

Thanks again.

I still like the idea of a bigger build with propane but this sounds awesome for the meantime. Do you know how long it takes to get from raw to cooked enough to shave for gyros? Just curious on timing.

He is telling me it takes 30 minutes before he starts slicing off meat.

I haven't seen one of them in use since I was in Greece dang near every corner had 1 of them selling gyros. They used an infrared heat source. You can buy heaters that have infrared tubes. which is very similar to what the vendors in Greece used. I like the spit idea, however you would need to support it well, and use bearings to prevent drag on the motor. However I have another idea which would be better. use the spit you have only not the drive motor. Rig up a belt drive using this motor that Grainger sells

Teez, evening, I was thinking the single burner for a small Gyro making set up... I do believe any of these burners can be mounted in a configuration that will suit your needs....  The heat would be adjustable by increasing or decreasing the distance from the meat...  they are also able to be used with a propane hose for weird mounting locations.... I've done that in my boat during winter fishing...   Dave

http://www.heatershop.com/propane_infrared_heaters.html

Wow, that pic is making me VERY hungry. I hit most of the street taco vendors in Puerto Vallarta whenever I'm there. (I wish I was there, now.)

If I recall correctly, most use propane, but there are some who use a vertical cage filled with charcoal. Very simple, you just drop pieces into the top as needed, and scoop the ash from the bottom when necessary.

I realize that's not what you're going for here, though. But good luck!

Any updates?

but there are some who use a vertical cage filled with charcoal. Very simple, you just drop pieces into the top as needed, and scoop the ash from the bottom when necessary.

mneeley .... Holy COWABUNGA batman.... Now that is an idea worth remembering....  how do I store that memory in my CRS pea brain for later use.... 

Thanks for that cool idea....   Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky