Attempting my first rack

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
St. Louis are just spare ribs that have been cut to look like the square racks you see commonly. The rib tips are removed. So just think of St Louis style as ribs with some of the work done for you.

Reactions: AnotherSmokerNewb
You have a full rack of ribs and
St louis style with the bottom trimmed and
Baby Backs

The part trimmed off of the full racks is sold as riblets a big item on Applebee's menu.

I don't wrap and I would say try it you may like it.

Warren

Great to see so many with first ribs plans. This is a great place to learn, trial, get feedback, learn what you like, improve, impress, become addicted.

The addiction is setting in. Already looking for recipes to improve the ribs, and trying to decide what's going in the smoker next.

Hi fellow smokers,

So I like to make some baby back ribs for my dad but he doesn't fancy 'fall of the bone ribs' but likes to gnaw at firm ribmeat. So no 3-2-1 method. How long would it take aboutish for a slab @225-250F you reckon?

I will be sending my MES 130b on his maiden smoke voyage for this :emoji_grinning:

at 250 a rack of BB with no wrap is about 5-6 hours. from my experience.

There's really not much meat inside the ribcage, as there's no musculature in there. The muscle is mostly between and on top of the rib bone.

Thanx guys. I will give it a try tomorrow. Already went to the butchers' and got the ribs. These are upper ribs which are called spare ribs in my part of the world but you would call them BBR. They're cut from the upper side. I will put them on at noon and expect then to be ready around dinner time.

I also got some sausage (raw) and chicken breasts. Let's get smokin' :emoji_relaxed:

Attachments

• kip1.jpg
    kip1.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 1
  • spare1.jpg
    spare1.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 1
  • spare2.jpg
    spare2.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky