Asiatic Water Buffalo. Anybody out there who wants to come along for the ride?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It turned out pretty good. Would soak it for longer next time to balance the fact that its not simmered as per makers intentions. Mix was 5 star but need to be on guard about heat if using fresh garlic.  Dont want that burnt/bitter  taste. Stock & steam good option.,Thanks cowgirl
icon14.gif
.In fridge now lunch tomorrow.Would leave salt out of rub or back it off a bit. Theres a pork cut here that they now call scotch fillet used to be neck. Got my you beauty brining needle today so might have a shot at a smoked german style pork neck,apple cider /vinegar ,mustard seed,juniper berry feel as a further tune up before the big jump to buffalo. They are from raw in cure with nitrates so I might benefit from a lesson on  3lb of pork neck before 13pound of water buffalo. Thanks for input
icon14.gif
f173d145_IMG_0403.jpg
You're welcome! Looks tasty!!
biggrin.gif

QUESTION.If I get to the point where its time to pull the pastrami it out of the cure but I  cant smoke it then, Do I soak it in fresh water for a few hours to balance it then freeze it or just take it out freeze it & leave the soak till I defrost.Its been in for 5 days & injected,then cut into 2 re injected & gone back in.I cant smoke it this w/e got to run down the coast. 6 days is 1 day per kg which is the formula my butcher gave me.

Ha ha just read ya post about beating NZ, good on ya! I'm heading over to Cairns when the rush starts over here for the cup games.

Its gonna end bad for sure, i reckon you guys will take it out  shhshhhshh! they'll shoot me for blasphemy

You could always try a straight out corned beef recipe for ya buff.

I  put it in cure for a week.Took it out soaked it in fresh water for about 4 hours but had to freeze it until I  can get time to do it.Its going to be a 4-6 hour smoke so I need a big window. World cup will be interesting I have a few of my maori friends over for dinner weds night.Should be lively,we agree on one thing Benji  Marshall a genius! Enjoy Cairns,Port Douglas worth a look.On the Inlet a nice place to eat.Its going to be Wallabies or All Blacks cant beleive a Northern Hemisphere team will get close. 

Its back ,got a great day World cup rugby on TV & the chance to follow this through. Defrosted overnight ,then rubbed with my version of bastourma mix. Fresh garlic,cbp, smoked paprika sweet paprika,fenugreek,cumin,coriander ,cayenne,fennel seed,olive oil salt. Into MES @ 75c for first bracket of 2 1/2 hours. Theres so little fat on it Im going to go as slow as I  can but I  have to be at the pub for Australia vIreland at 630. BTW  nice effort USA beating Russia.
e49ee3eb_IMG_0486.jpg

6 hrs at 100c,put water in pan of MES.Worried that it being so lean it will dry out.Taste test pretty good,might have been a little heavy with cayenne but  only a touch.Ive probed it,its showing medium + bit on meat thermometer,Im going to give it 30 m Ive cut the big bit in 2 rubbed cut edge with mix. 

I will foil it with some beef stock,leave it for an hour then put it away in time to get to pub for rugby. Its a meat with its own flavour profile hard to pinpoint.
e13704d5_IMG_0489.jpg

Im old enough that I started in farenheit,miles.gallons then had to learn metric. At least it sounds like I weigh less. World cup rugby pretty big deal because we are a big chance to take it out provided we can beat New Zealand. USA played very well, Todd Cleaver was particularly impressive. How far you have come will be judged on your games against Italy & Ireland. But you look a better team each year.

Until Rugby season you forget how many bloody Kiwis live here. We have our own Australian Pacific Islanders but its those Maoris that make them hard to beat. Maybe we can give Russell Crowe back in a deal for a couple of forwards.

We live to beat the Russian's.I bet at least 50% said
wtf1.gif
.C to f conversions.
laugh1.gif
  Hi you will find all the conversions here http://www.kreativekorp.com/software/mcii/  

Im old enough that I started in farenheit,miles.gallons then had to learn metric. At least it sounds like I weigh less. World cup rugby pretty big deal because we are a big chance to take it out provided we can beat New Zealand. USA played very well, Todd Cleaver was particularly impressive. How far you have come will be judged on your games against Italy & Ireland. But you look a better team each year.

Until Rugby season you forget how many bloody Kiwis live here. We have our own Australian Pacific Islanders but its those Maoris that make them hard to beat. Maybe we can give Russell Crowe back in a deal for a couple of forwards.
    You forgot the world cup Champions    south africa in your run to the world  cup .

It looks like pastrami!! Its got that bastorma  mix on it tastes mighty fine & its water buffalo. Who'd of thunk it. Seriously it was really good. Plenty left.
afe8192c_IMG_0493.jpg
Foiled it with beef stock used that as dressing.I have a fat 10 lbs to distribute.

I was pretty happy with it. Its the first from scratch pastrami or any full cure thing Ive done. Learnt a lot. Offer still good for swap of Russell Crowe for maori rugby forwards. He was born in NZ after all,will throw in bastorma ,chorizo & case of beer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky