Asian Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motocrash

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 25, 2017
Winchester,Va
With summer in full swing, I am doing a lot of fast cooks. Not a lot of time, and these take ~ 1 hour, much like wings! I have done these a few times since seeing mossymo mossymo post. This time I went Asian.
I started by cutting a rack of St. Louis ribs and treating with SPOG.
1657288538614.png

I made up a sauce, plucking from a couple different recipes:
1/4 Cup Low Sodium Soy sauce
1/4 Cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
1/8 Cup Rice Vinegar
3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1/2 tsp Grated Ginger
1/2 tsp Gochugaru
1/8 tsp White Pepper
Simmered while stirring to reduce and thicken ~ 3-5 mins.

Prepped the kettle same as I do for wings and threw on a chunk of Pecan.
I use the same 1/4 lid rotation every 5 minutes, again, same as wings.
Added another chunk of Pecan half way through ~ the 30 minute mark.
Sauced the first time at 50 mins, when they probed almost done, second at ~ 1 hour.

Here they are ready to come off the kettle.
1657289247009.png

Nice pullback and ready to devour.
1657289343160.png

Try'em, You'll like'em!

Those look fantastic . I like the cut into singles , you get a lot of seasoning on them .
Nice work bud .

Yes sir I believe I will ....but may need a sample or 6 🤣. Sure look good !

Keith
Thank you Keith. I ate 4 ( chefs choice of course) and was done. But I'm a skinny little feller...
Those look fantastic . I like the cut into singles , you get a lot of seasoning on them .
Nice work bud .
Thanks Rich, they do get a lot more flavor and smoke on them when they're cut before cooking. As an added bonus I save 5 hours over doing them whole. It turns ribs into a weeknight meal instead of a weekend meal to allot 6 hours of cook time.

Reactions: chopsaw
I love Asian flavors. Those ribs are glistening! I just love the color you got on those.
Thank you Sven. Next time I will use cherry, since I don't have any pear wood. Cherry would make them even more colorful and go better with the Asian sauce, not that the pecan was bad....
Those look Great, Moto!!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Thank you Bear. This sauce would tack up good in the air fryer, as that's pretty much all I'm doing on the kettle.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Wow , those do look great. I have a rack of ribs in a bucket of brine right now for tomorrow . I might cut them like that and bake and glaze to some flavor not known to me yet. lol

David

edit....when I say baked I mean smoked in the smoker as to on a grill etc.

lol

OMG....those are gorgeous. You now have me thinking seriously about doing this tomorrow. Tracy and I both really like Asian inspired food as well as pork ribs. This could be the perfect combo.

Robert

Those ribs look phenomenal! My wife and kids love Asian foods… I will definitely be trying this! Thanks for sharing!

Wow , those do look great. I have a rack of ribs in a bucket of brine right now for tomorrow . I might cut them like that and bake and glaze to some flavor not known to me yet. lol

David

edit....when I say baked I mean smoked in the smoker as to on a grill etc.

lol
Thanks David,they'll be excellent brined.
OMG....those are gorgeous. You now have me thinking seriously about doing this tomorrow. Tracy and I both really like Asian inspired food as well as pork ribs. This could be the perfect combo.

Robert
Thank you Robert, smok'em with cherry and they'll even look like the ribs from an Asian restaurant.
Asian flavors and ribs go together like chopsticks and rice.
Those ribs look phenomenal! My wife and kids love Asian foods… I will definitely be trying this! Thanks for sharing!
If they like Asian, they'll definitely like these. Thank you for the comments!

Those look excellent!! I’ll bet the flavor is astounding!
Thanks Jeff. The sauce was good for winging it but could use a few tweaks.
Looks real good Moto....will have to give it a try.

Question-why the 1/4 lid turn?
Thanks Keith. The rotation is because the vent on the Weber lid makes what's under it get more heat and smoke. If you don't rotate it they get cooked unevenly at the high temps with all vents wide open.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky