Ash wood.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ADAM SMITH

Original poster
Feb 6, 2019
Anyone ever smoked with it? I have no clue what kind of ash, just found it on Facebook Marketplace. Don't wanna go get it if it ain't worth cooking with, haha.

I've never used ash personally, but everyone around here uses oak to get a nice flavor to their smoked meats.

From some friends of mine, it produces a flavor between oak and hickory depending on the type of ash tree, and is good with fish and red meat.

Because of Emerald Ash Borer disease ash is pretty much free around here. The trees die and then just fall down. Like in my back yard. And on my roof, etc.
_DSC0004.JPG

Reactions: ADAM SMITH
Emerald Ash Borer

Yup . City put them in ,,, new house free tree ,,, now we have to pay to cut them down . You're gonna be doing someone a favor hauling it off ( bugs and all ) and you might not even like how it smokes .

I've used it. It's alright; doesn't have much of a distinct smoke flavor, but I guess it depends on the ash species. It's a good fuel wood, good to keep the temperature up. Makes good firewood, easy to split, burns clean, little to no scent, dries quick etc. Also, it's good to grill with if you want to burn down some wood and make your own coals.

I like ash and get it for free from my yard. Yes very neutral and clean when you want just a nice smoke.

As with any disease or pest prone tree species, one should debark and burn it to slow the spread

There are three types of ash that were common near me, black, green, and white ash and all of them got wiped out by the emerald ash borer. Of the three, black ash has the darkest colored wood and the most odor when cut. I haven't smoked with it, but I have burned plenty and it has a good smelling smoke. It grows mostly in wet areas and doesn't get very big. I think the largest I've cut was about 12" diameter. Green and white ash get huge. All three make huge coals while burning. They can get so dry that they need to be mixed with other wetter woods to burn them completely. If I was going to smoke with them, it would be chips, not sticks.

fine to use, ash is probably one of the only trees that will burn right after you cut it down, it does burn hotter then most

There are three types of ash that were common near me, black, green, and white ash and all of them got wiped out by the emerald ash borer. Of the three, black ash has the darkest colored wood and the most odor when cut. I haven't smoked with it, but I have burned plenty and it has a good smelling smoke. It grows mostly in wet areas and doesn't get very big. I think the largest I've cut was about 12" diameter. Green and white ash get huge. All three make huge coals while burning. They can get so dry that they need to be mixed with other wetter woods to burn them completely. If I was going to smoke with them, it would be chips, not sticks.

I live in the Thumb in Michigan and we have been devastated with the ash borer. I have tons of wood from all the trees I have had to cut down. I never used any for smoking because I thought the wood with the damage would not be good for smoking.

I live in the Thumb in Michigan and we have been devastated with the ash borer. I have tons of wood from all the trees I have had to cut down. I never used any for smoking because I thought the wood with the damage would not be good for smoking.
Contaminated wood that isn't debarked continues the chain. It must be debarked and the bark destroyed.
The wood is now acceptable to store and use for fire or smoke.

I've been using some ash borer salvage for a couple of years in the Little Buck to take the chill off in winter. Maybe I should throw a couple of chunks in during a smoke and see how it tastes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky