Are my spareribs taking too long to cook?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I no longer use a meat probe in ribs. I use the bend test. Probe temps in pork ribs give a false since of when there done. Always use great temp probe. I don't wrap until they are done to rest them.
My st louis cut take about 7 hrs at 225°.
Do you use a water pan?

Yes. I've read above someone recommend not using one. I'm have to try this.
It seems like what ever you’re doing is working but I’d be interested in hearing how it goes without the pan. What are you cooking on?

Reactions: joetee
Well.... I use a Weber kettle with a smoke attachment and a rotisserie attachment together on it. Basically it's like a smoky mountain.
Waiting on a new smoker. Lonestar offset.

Attachments

• 1603654476353764662035678504866.jpg
    1603654476353764662035678504866.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 9
A water pan helps even out your smoker temps and assists in not drying out the meat. Look at the pic I posted of the porkbutt on the fist page of this thread. the pan also means a lot less crap I have to clean off from the inside of my offset. Doesn't matter it it's a brisket, butt, or rack of spares, I always use a water pan when running my SQ36. RAY
DSCN1583.JPG

Dump the water pan (for now).
You have a top of the line offset.
New Horizon is my next purchase (may be 10 years down the road) after my research on stick and offset burners.
With their diffusion plate you don't need a water pan. The heat is distributed well across the cook chamber.
A stick burner adds water vapor. Burning fuel produces water and carbon dioxide.
Maybe after learning your smoker, a water pan can get added down the road.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky