Are my casings bad? Need quick help, smoking sausage in the morning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atcnick

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Longview, Texas
Hey guys,

Im a little concerned about some casings I used this evening.  They're LEM hog casings I got from Gander Mt.  When I opened the package it smelled really bad!  I dont have much experience at sausage making, I've only made sausage about 2 or 3 times but it smelled worse than I remember.  I soaked them for a while, about 30 min,  in water and then rinsed them out and flushed them  and put them in some cool water with a couple table spoons of vinegar (hoping that would help with the smell). 

It helped a little, the smell wasnt as bad as when I first opened it but it was defintly still there even after I stuffed the sausage.  If I would bring it to my nose I could smell it.  Smelled kinda like what spoiling raw pork smells like.

What do y'all think?  Are the casings bad or not?  The texture felt normal and they were still strong, didnt tear.

I need some quick answers, the sausage just went in the fridge to dry and Im smoking it in the morning. 

I would soak in salt water in the fridge for the rest of the evening.  They do take on a bit of odor in storage but the cold salt water should get rid of most of it for you.  How did you store them?  In the fridge/freezer with just a bit of water and good coating of salt I hope.

Al

It was a new package i opened.  It was vacuumed packed with salt.  It was LEM hog casings from gander mountain.

I once bought a package from Gander Mountain and it was the same thing, smelled awful! never bought there again.

I asked the same question on here and was told that's the way they are. I tossed them out myself.  Maybe an overnight soak would have been better but since you stuffed them already I guess there's no turning back now. Let us know how it comes out.

Last edited:
I have used the LEM casings before. I too had a concern about the smell of the casings, so I called them. This is normal for these casings. Just soak and flush as instructed then stuff. Once you cook them you will not have any lingering taste. Its all good. BTW What kind of sausage you makin?
icon_question.gif

Last edited:
The Sausage Maker catalog says the smell is normal.  It's supposed to be less noticeable if you keep them in the fridge. 

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Here's a pictureof the meat just going in the smoke. A CB, 2 buckboards. And 12 lbs of polish sausage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky