Appliance Epoxy paint advice...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The first coats never look the way you want . Do like you are and go slow . It will come together .
Sprayed the second coat of paint just before lunch today. Much better look than the first coat! Looks 1000 times better! I went a little heavy with the paint intentionally...surface has a slight orange peel look, but that helps to hide some of the blemishes. Not perfect, but as my Uncle would say.....It's good enough for who it's for! LOL!!!! <sarc>

.surface has a slight orange peel look,
Glad it came together , I figured it would .
Some of the Rust-Oleum products are designed to have a textured look . I used one that was " Hammered " on some hose carriers in my landscaping .

Reactions: indaswamp
Sprayed the second coat of paint just before lunch today. Much better look than the first coat! Looks 1000 times better! I went a little heavy with the paint intentionally...surface has a slight orange peel look, but that helps to hide some of the blemishes. Not perfect, but as my Uncle would say.....It's good enough for who it's for! LOL!!!! <sarc>
My Gramp's used to say "It's good enough for the girls that we go out with"
and my Nona would slap him in the back of the head and say-
"Oh yeah, you wise guy in her broken English" :emoji_joy:

God, I sure do miss them!!!

If you want to knock down some of that orange peel, give it a quick once over with some 800 to1500 grit wet sanding paper, soak the paper in water for a few minutes before sanding and keep the paper lubricated/good and wet while sanding, it will make it look 10X better. It will also be much easier to keep it clean and sanitary down the road.

Post up a few pic's when you're done with it.

Dan.

I find the epoxy spray paints are a little harder to use. They run easier (esp on vertical surfaces) and I'm not sure I quite agree with the "many light coats" advice. But whatever you do, don't change brands or formulation now. Mixing, even with a week between coats, is usually a disaster.
And I'd live with the orange peel...successive coats usually just makes it worse. (Or if you learn to love it, better!) I have a suspicion orange peel is the result of an overly-clean surface...when I've used acetone or lacquer thinner wipe-downs, I've usually regretted the results. Now I just paint on the surface I have, having sanded only to get the final roughness I can tolerate.

Inda, Afternoon.... You MUST use aluminum primer... It has phosphoric acid or something in it to make it work...
Aluminum instantly "rusts" when the initial rust layer is compromised... Oxygen in the air instantly forms Aluminum Oxide... Alumina....
The paint finish may look good for a week or three but eventually the paint will fall off...
I built an engine bracket 20+ years ago for my outboard.. Sprayed with aluminum primer then high gloss rustoleum... Looks like new today,.... in the salt water etc....

1652491745391.png

1652493460243.jpeg

1652493486170.jpeg

I cleaned the aluminum with mineral spirits to get rid of any oils then primed it... Next day, painted the Rustoleum, then sprayied again after the proper wait period...
20+ years and looks like new... Not too bad for a hacker..,.

Dave, the aluma bright Is an acid etching surface prep for aluminum. It has phos. acid in it....
It will be fine for many years, I've painted aluminum commercial fishing boats that still look pretty damn good after many years of neglect in the ocean. I used Aluma Bright to prep the bare metal, then auto paint that was the cheapest that I could find at the time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky