Apple Juice Level up?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ricardo's

Original poster
Feb 14, 2020
ok so last weekend we smoked some ribs. not anything super exciting. we like a modified version of the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours low smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil with apple juice. then bbq sauce and high heat to tighten the bbq sauce a bit. but this is not about the receipe. so i realized after it was to late we didnt have any apple juice. With covid and everything I wasnt running out to the store for one thing of apple juice. We did have an apple. so i threw that in the blender, it looked like not much so i added a little water, then i thought i dont want to water it down to much so i added some suger and a dash of apple cider vinegar as well. and blended it all together to a fine paste. Then this was my eureka moment! ( i had originally thought i would strain it and just use the juice) I put the entire apple sauce(?) in the foil and put the ribs on top. the ribs turned out amazing! every once in a while you'd get a tiny chunk of apple in with the smoke and heat from the seasonings. my wife said the best we've ever done.

Because there was actually some substance the sauce bubbled and steamed and slowly mingle withthe ribs in a delishous way. avoiding having to reapply apple juice/open the lid every time.

another thing it helped was; i've had a pin hole in the foil leak all the juice out, this actually stayed put.

Questions I have... would the leftover apple/seasoning/renderings be editable? they looked and smelled so good. like a thick apple chutney. I ended up throwing it out i wasnt sure if it would be food safe. i also didn't remove the seeds or stem befre blending so that would have ruined it anyway, but i plan on trying this again.

I'd love to hear others thoughts on this and if they try it, how it turns out. I think like anything it can be improved. would love to see where this goes.

Interesting modification.... Got to try this next time. Oh, in regard to if leftover of apple souse is eatable - I am pretty sure it is - I would try it and if it tasty - eat it!! :emoji_wink:
Let me know how it goes! I'll be trying the leftovers as well. (and thanks for the likes!)

That sounds very good GaryHibbert GaryHibbert . I'll have to try that next time. We often do one or two racks of ribs so plenty of room around it for extras. Do you just put them in a foil pan?

I have a method of making ribs called apple pie ribs where i mix butter and apple butter together in the foil packet. i use an apple rub and my candy apple red (#2) sauce at the end. its an apple explosion when you eat the apple pie ribs. I stole and modified the recipe off Malcom Reed's How to BBQ right.

try this sauce next time you make your apple mix...

1/4 stick margarine or butter
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup AC vinegar
1/4 cup of apple juice
3/4 cup turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic
3 Tbsp paprika (mild)

mix ingredients in a small pot.
bring to low boil and simmer for 20 minutes. l
et sit in fridge after cooling for a couple of hours.

can substitute brown sugar for raw sugar but will burn much easier.
can substitute the dry ingredients with two spoonful of apple rub.
can spice it up with cayenne pepper and hot paprika.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Apple and pork are one the classic pairings and just works. Not sure if a german thing but I don't think I ever had a pork chop without apple sauce growing up. When used with pork I say it takes the "oink" out. :emoji_laughing: Totally agree, a level up IMO. Others are the opposite and want MORE pork flavor. My pork injection is based on Mixon and is an apple juice base. Last rib run I marinaded mine in that injection instead of rubbing and will probably stick to it but admit I hardly run ribs once I dialed in my PP.

Reactions: Ricardo's
so thats confirming 2Mac 2Mac interesting this has been done before.

do you put it under the ribs or on top, or both? how much do you use? I used one apple worth on one rack and it seemed to be lots but i didnt think to measure it.

so thats confirming 2Mac 2Mac interesting this has been done before.

do you put it under the ribs or on top, or both? how much do you use? I used one apple worth on one rack and it seemed to be lots but i didnt think to measure it.
I don't use very much. I usually put a thin layer down on the foil then place the ribs bone side down on the sauce and then wrap them up.

Reactions: Ricardo's
I have a method of making ribs called apple pie ribs where i mix butter and apple butter together in the foil packet. i use an apple rub and my candy apple red (#2) sauce at the end. its an apple explosion when you eat the apple pie ribs. I stole and modified the recipe off Malcom Reed's How to BBQ right.

try this sauce next time you make your apple mix...

1/4 stick margarine or butter
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup AC vinegar
1/4 cup of apple juice
3/4 cup turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic
3 Tbsp paprika (mild)

mix ingredients in a small pot.
bring to low boil and simmer for 20 minutes. l
et sit in fridge after cooling for a couple of hours.

can substitute brown sugar for raw sugar but will burn much easier.
can substitute the dry ingredients with two spoonful of apple rub.
can spice it up with cayenne pepper and hot paprika.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

You wouldn't happen to have a recipe for the candy apple sauce to share? A local bbq place does a candy apple sauce that I've really gotten fond of.

achm__97994.1613236841.jpg
I hate buying most sauces, but this stuff will probably usually be in my fridge. Tastes like mustardy habanero (not too hot, good floral hab flavor) apple sauce. GOOD apple sauce i look forward to making each fall.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky