Anyone use wood pellets in their MES?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For those of you using the AMNPS, please note in the picture that Bear posted that he has the lit side at the back of Smoker, so if you try it that way, be sure you do likewise as I am sure there is a reason he has it that way. If I were to try it with my AMNPS, I would try it like he has it in his picture.

I have the MES 30 digital but not Bluetooth model. Love it "as is". I bought the AMZN serpentine And found (and confirmed w/Todd) it wouldn't fit anywhere but on a rack. So I bought the expandable tube model and that works perfect!! I put it at the very bottom on the pan in front by the door. Filler tube turned and pulled out 1/3 to allow air and smokes for at least 5 hours. A lot longer than I need smoke for foil wrapped butts. Dump the tube and re-fill if needed longer.

As close to "set and forget" smoking and just the combo to do it.

DW 
Exactly---An MES and an Amazing Smoker are Truly a Match made in Smoker Heaven!!!

Bear

For those of you using the AMNPS, please note in the picture that Bear posted that he has the lit side at the back of Smoker, so if you try it that way, be sure you do likewise as I am sure there is a reason he has it that way. If I were to try it with my AMNPS, I would try it like he has it in his picture.
Actually since I've been putting my AMNPS in that Gen #2.5, and on that side of that bottom rack, it doesn't seem to matter which direction I put it in.

Bear

Actually since I've been putting my AMNPS in that Gen #2.5, and on that side of that bottom rack, it doesn't seem to matter which direction I put it in.

Bear
Oh .. OK ... I thought that maybe there was a reason. I may be wrong, but I am thinking that I have heard Rick DaRickstra say he puts the lit end to the back but don't quote me on that.

Oh .. OK ... I thought that maybe there was a reason. I may be wrong, but I am thinking that I have heard Rick DaRickstra say he puts the lit end to the back but don't quote me on that.
Notice I said "in that place in my Gen #2.5, it doesn't matter which direction". If it made a difference in my Smoker, I would say it does!!!

That doesn't mean it doesn't matter in Rick's Gen #1 MES 30. If Rick says it does, I'm sure it does! Rick knows his Smoker better than anyone else does.

They're all different.

Bear

Last edited:

Notice I said "in that place in my Gen #2.5, it doesn't matter which direction". If it made a difference in my Smoker, I would say it does!!!

That doesn't mean it doesn't matter in Rick's Gen #1 MES 30. If Rick says it does, I'm sure it does! Rick knows his Smoker better than anyone else does.

They're all different.

Bear
I don't use the AMNPS, so with your successful use of the AMNPS in your smoker, you know better than I do what works and doesn't work.

Jimmy, When doing pellets, most people use an Amazen  or other pellet smoking designed product.  Some have the device at the bottom of their smoker where some such as myself have the AMAZEN product in a mailbox that is attached to the smoker.   Don't know of anyone using pellets in a cast iron.

I do use a cast iron but only in my gasser smoker when I want to burn chunks of wood.  Otherwise I have an AMAZEN product located at the bottom of it as well.
​Thanks, I should have stated that I have a Master built 44 inch gas smoker.

I see above where it was mentioned that when the AMNPS puts out more smoke than desired that it can be cut back some.  Is there any technique that might be useful to know?  I have on occasion tasted a very slight bitterness on my sausage, and wondered if I might have smoked it too heavily.  When cold smoking I'll crack the door of the MES to mix more air in, but when hot smoking that doesn't seem as possible.  When I look through the glass of my MES I can't usually see much because of the dense smoke, and I always have the vent wide open.  Thanks!

I see above where it was mentioned that when the AMNPS puts out more smoke than desired that it can be cut back some.  Is there any technique that might be useful to know?  I have on occasion tasted a very slight bitterness on my sausage, and wondered if I might have smoked it too heavily.  When cold smoking I'll crack the door of the MES to mix more air in, but when hot smoking that doesn't seem as possible.  When I look through the glass of my MES I can't usually see much because of the dense smoke, and I always have the vent wide open.  Thanks!
Yeah---If I look in the window & can't see my food through the Smoke, that's too heavy (Thick).

That doesn't happen with mine very often though.

With my Generation #2.5, if I have the Dumper pulled out, I push it back in.

Then if that doesn't help, all I have to do is put the AMNPS in a place in the smoker that doesn't work as good, like on the floor in the bottom right of the smoker.

Bear

Bear, I've been wondering what to do to prevent over smoking. Thanks

I'm not sure if my MES is 2 or 2.5. It is digital but without blue tooth. I really like it and because I couldn't find a place to put my maze and switched to the Tube which works great. I put the tube on that catch pan in the very bottom and centered and just inside the door. I have seen a few times where the smoke was too heavy and couldn't see the meat. I suppose I was getting creosote then but I'd look later and the smoke had cleared a where i could see in again. The smoke was coming up and billowing but the cabinet remained pretty clear. So, I think I am all right but your adjusting the filler tube will be remembered.

Side question:

Why does Todd offer both pellets and saw dust? He told me I'd be better off with the pellets for the tube but that brings question - why both?

DW   in Richardson 

Here's some description directly from Todd's website, explaining the original application for each of his products.     I still use quite often the dust and AMNS for my cold smoking.
The 6x6 A-MAZE-N-SMOKER(AMNS)[sup]PATENTED[/sup] is a light weight, durable and portable smoke generator, that produces a great quality smoke for cold and hot smoking. It is versatile enough to be used in just about any smoker or a grill. The Original A-MAZE-N-SMOKER was designed to burn sawdust for cold smoking, but customers quickly found is useful at higher temps up to 180°.
The A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER(AMNPS)[sup]PATENTED[/sup] is also a light weight, durable and portable smoke generator, but it’s designed to burn pellets or sawdust. The new AMNPS will produce smoke during cold smoking and hot smoking, tested up to 275°!

The latest addition to my smoking arsenal is the A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER(AMNTS)[sup]PATENTED[/sup] The AMNTS uses the very same materials as my other smokers, but it's in the shape of a tube. It was designed to burn pellets and supplement smoke at higher temps, in Pellet Grills/Smokers. This is where most pellet grills/smokers do not produce much smoke. The AMNTS adds additional smoke at cooking temps, regardless if your pellet grill/smoker is burning pellets or not.

It can also be used in many other types of smokers or grills, where grate space is limited. Just like the other smokers we sell, the AMNTS will produce great smoke for cold smoking as well. The 12" AMNTS will burn up to 4 hours, depending on the smoker temps, type of pellets and draft inside your smoker.
Re: too much smoke from a tube,  you can simply fill the tube only half way.  Turn it on it's side and shake it back and forth which will fill the tube but only in the bottom half.  Similar amount as seen in one of the AMNPS channels.

Bear, I've been wondering what to do to prevent over smoking. Thanks

I'm not sure if my MES is 2 or 2.5. It is digital but without blue tooth. I really like it and because I couldn't find a place to put my maze and switched to the Tube which works great. I put the tube on that catch pan in the very bottom and centered and just inside the door. I have seen a few times where the smoke was too heavy and couldn't see the meat. I suppose I was getting creosote then but I'd look later and the smoke had cleared a where i could see in again. The smoke was coming up and billowing but the cabinet remained pretty clear. So, I think I am all right but your adjusting the filler tube will be remembered.

Side question:

Why does Todd offer both pellets and saw dust? He told me I'd be better off with the pellets for the tube but that brings question - why both?

DW   in Richardson 
The best way to tell a Gen #2 is by the goofy slanted drip plate above the heating element. It is higher on the right side than on the left, and has a little water pan hanging from a hole in the left end.

Todd also sells the AMNPS, which burns both Dust & pellets, and the AMNS which is only good for Dust, and at temps below approx. 220°.

If you are in an area of low altitude, and have good air flow in your smoker, the Tube may put out too much smoke, no matter what you do. My MES 40 is like that, so I use the AMNPS, and get Perfect smoke.

Usually the people who have trouble keeping the AMNPS lit, due to high altitude or poor air flow in their smoker have better results with a Tube Smoker (AMNTS), without the smoke getting too heavy.

Bear

Todd discussed this with me and said for my model MES 30 (slanted Tray) the serpentine generator will not fit unless it takes up space on a rack. Thus the expandable tube and that works great down on the bottom front.

As I said, I just don't seem to have a problem with too much smoke but adjusting the chip tube in or out may be a solution should I have trouble in the future.

Thanks 

Todd discussed this with me and said for my model MES 30 (slanted Tray) the serpentine generator will not fit unless it takes up space on a rack. Thus the expandable tube and that works great down on the bottom front.

As I said, I just don't seem to have a problem with too much smoke but adjusting the chip tube in or out may be a solution should I have trouble in the future.

Thanks 
Sounds good for yours. Must be working good.

When I tested a Gen #2, I found the heat balance left to right & top to bottom was all screwed up due to the slanted Drip plate trapping heat under the right end.

If I had to use one of those Gen #2 units, I would first try removing the slanted Drip plate & water pan, then put the bottom rack in, and put a foil pan on that bottom rack for direct heat dispersion. 

Then I could put my AMNPS on the right end of the bottom rack, like I do in my Gen #2.5.

Just what I would try.

My Findings:

Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear's Thoughts & Findings)

Bear

Last edited:
I have to admit Bear that I have yet to load up my MES 30 with meat or anything. I did do three racks of ribs once and didn't really check heat dispersion problems as I just didn't know any better. I did however move the top meat to the bottom, bottom to top and turned all three end for end after three hours. They came out pretty even considering SAM's mostly seem to have a mixed-match of ribs in the package of three. Some racks thicker, others thinner and different size and same with bones structure so maybe moving their positions helps even it out. I don't know. I didn't notice much difference in them but then I was in a very big hurry to get them on the table to eat. Missing a couple of bones to cook's samples. I'm not into competition cooking but I am learn from you all.

I did a cut up chicken in the smoker this evening and finished cooking and browning on the Weber Grill. I tried only filling enough pellets into the tube for my short smoke. I shuck around to spread out to a shallow depth to test producing less smoke and avoid over doing it. I went too thin a depth

and the pellets eventually went out. I rearranged to a depth of about an inch and re-lit. Stayed lit all the way to the end with no problem.

I did notice that for a short time after adding the tube to the bottom front that the smoke was very thick and obliterated the view through the glass door. But, in less than five minutes after the door was closed the smoke dissipated into what I think you were looking for. Could easily see the meat and the smoke swirling around the the meat and all the way to the back.

I'll try again tomorrow with a rack of loin backs and let you know. 

DW

I have to admit Bear that I have yet to load up my MES 30 with meat or anything. I did do three racks of ribs once and didn't really check heat dispersion problems as I just didn't know any better. I did however move the top meat to the bottom, bottom to top and turned all three end for end after three hours. They came out pretty even considering SAM's mostly seem to have a mixed-match of ribs in the package of three. Some racks thicker, others thinner and different size and same with bones structure so maybe moving their positions helps even it out. I don't know. I didn't notice much difference in them but then I was in a very big hurry to get them on the table to eat. Missing a couple of bones to cook's samples. I'm not into competition cooking but I am learn from you all.

I did a cut up chicken in the smoker this evening and finished cooking and browning on the Weber Grill. I tried only filling enough pellets into the tube for my short smoke. I shuck around to spread out to a shallow depth to test producing less smoke and avoid over doing it. I went too thin a depth

and the pellets eventually went out. I rearranged to a depth of about an inch and re-lit. Stayed lit all the way to the end with no problem.

I did notice that for a short time after adding the tube to the bottom front that the smoke was very thick and obliterated the view through the glass door. But, in less than five minutes after the door was closed the smoke dissipated into what I think you were looking for. Could easily see the meat and the smoke swirling around the the meat and all the way to the back.

I'll try again tomorrow with a rack of loin backs and let you know. 

DW
That's Great !!

Sounds like you're really getting to know your smoker & using your Amazing.

Keep up the Great Work!!

I do mostly small smokes, unless I'm doing a big batch of Bacon, so I don't often use many racks.

My Rack preferences from top to bottom, due to Temp stability are:

When only using 1 rack ----#1 in my 4 rack smoker----#2 in my 6 rack smoker.

When using 2 racks----#1 & #2 in both 4 & 6 rack smokers.

When using 3 racks----#1, #2, & #3 in both 4 & 6 rack smokers.

I never use the bottom rack for food in either smoker. Too close to heating element.

Bear

Bear

Your rack selection makes perfect sense and thanks. I have not used the bottom rack (except for a pan of beans)  but now I realize I was just lucky.

This is how I learn and really enjoy the sharing from those far advanced and the newbies questions as I can relate.

Many thanks to all!!

DW 

As I said yesterday I smoked a single loin back rack today incorporating some of what I have learned here on SMF. I think it worked out very good!
[h3]Equipment Used:[/h3]
My 30" MES

Smoked on 3rd rack

Opened chip filler a couple of inches to allow air for smoke generator to stay lit

A-MAZE-N Oval Tube

Hickory pellets

Top vent wide open

Maverick thermometers
[h3]Meat and Prep: [/h3]
Rack of loin back ribs

Rub - Mild Bubba Q Rub  (All Purpose)   Chef JimmyJ

Mayo to coat ribs and hold rub

Jimmy's Foiling Juice
[h3]Method:[/h3]
No time to coat ribs with mayo and rub for more than a hour

Set smoker to 225 degrees

2+2+1 method for loin backs

Partially filled tube, tipped end for end to get depth of about 1" of pellets (short lite smoke)

Lit tube with torch as normal and placed on very bottom in front of glass door. 

Put ribs on third rack along with BBQ temp probe

Monitored temperature swings 210 to 235 but mostly 220-230 (I think acceptable)

At two hours, removed ribs and wrapped in foil with foiling juice

Pulled smoke out and wrapped in foil to extinguish embers

Returned meat to smoker still at 225 degrees for 2 hour bake

Temp wasn't holding so bumped setting to 235 degrees which averaged out 225-230

Just as two hour foiling was up, I restarted the smoking tube with remaining pellets and pushed chip tube almost cloased

Removed the ribs from foil (meant to reserve some of the liquid to add to BBQ sauce but forgot)

Reset temp to max 275 degrees to finish ribs

Put ribs back in and adjusted filler port inward for a lighter smoke last hour

Brought the ribs in, re-wrapped in foil and added to 150 degree oven to hold

The anti smoke ladies said the ribs were really outstanding and not too overly smoked.

Not a bad afternoon smoking and watching Cowboy game

No sauce yet but juicy

Any how... That's the way I did them.

DW

Reactions: theboyler
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky