Anyone use maple?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigmeatsmokin

Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Connecticut
Has anyone used maple in the smoker? So far I've only used hickory, and I love the flavor, but I have loads of maple here in CT. Is it a milder or stronger flavor?

Bigmeatsmokin,
Maple is an excellent wood of the smoker. Look at Smoking Supplies & Eqpt. category in this forum. Then go to "Woods for Smoking" and look at Dutch's post dated 2/22 at 11:18. He covers a lot of other woods as well as maple. By the way, he says that maple is "slightly sweet and good with pork, poultry, cheese & small game birds."

bigmeatsmokin,

I've been following the forum for a couple months now and there is still SO MUCH unexplored territory, such a wealth of info. Not to mention that Staying up on all the current posts takes so long, and is many times so interesting that I don't have all that much time to go back to the dawn of time and read some of those first posts that were on this forum.

Have fun reading!

My brother brought some maple from Missouri and I really like it on turkey and poultry. :D

Ihave a good supply of maple from a tree that my in-laws had removed last summer to make room for their new garage addition. I have smoked many beer can chickens and chicken wings using all maple or a mix of maple with a little hickory or cherry thrown in if I want a little deeper flavor. Maple works very well with poultry and (I've heard) fish. I imparts a slightly sweet and lighter flavor than oak, hickory and mesquite.

Cheers,
Brian

bigmeatsmokin

Maple wood is excellent for smoking especially Pork and Bacon!

I live in Maine and I use it all the time, along with Oak, hickory and alder.

Don't be afraid to try all types of hardwood and perhaps keep a few notes on the outcome so you begin to understand what suits your taste over a period of time.

Never, Ever, use softwoods such as Pine,Cedar,Spruce, ETC. no evergreens!

Only hardwood!

ranger72 :D

Bigmeatsmokin

I used some native Missouri maple on chicken the other day and I must say that it was good!! It seems to have a lite sweet flavor as opposed to oak. I used to always use oak, but now that i tried maple, I will deffinatly use more maple in the future.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky