Anyone own a smoker mfg UDS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQgrasshopper30

Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
Hello,

I have a smoker building mfg DraftmasterUDS . It has two air intakes, the heat shield, draft block off system and the heat diffuser. I would really like some information on how you are lighting your charcoal, what temps you are able to maintain, intake/exhaust settings, etc. I’m having trouble keeping the UDS from trying to die out after about 2-3 hours. Smoke stops and the temps start to trickle down. It always has plenty of charcoal in the basket, which leads me to thing it’s not getting enough airflow. I am wondering if the draft block off plate is not letting enough air get to the top of the basket where my lit charcoal sets. I have reached out to the guys at smoker builder mfg and they were super helpful and suggested a full chimney of charcoal across the top of the basket, which I have tried. I have also done the minion method and the coffee can method this afternoon. I’m not disappointed in the product, just trying to figure out my user error issues. Any tips, pictures, tutorials for a newbie would be great. Im to the point now where I want to order a control fan if I can’t figure this out.
I live in the south, does humidity have anything to do with this? I have been using lump royal oak charcoal, which i leave in my garage. A friend of mine mention it absorbs moisture from the air and mentioned that it could affect the lighting the charcoal throughout the cook. Any thoughts or opinions would be very much appreciated!
1019E0BA-2A4A-4DC7-9231-BB7AAA159B9A.jpeg

Last edited:
I've never seen one of those until now, but I did peek at the assembly videos. You did use a step bit on the center hole (of the 5-hole pattern) before bolting on the vent risers? I would think you would have plenty of intake. As far as lighting goes, I use a weed burner and light one spot dead center.

Reactions: JC in GB
I've never seen one of those until now, but I did peek at the assembly videos. You did use a step bit on the center hole (of the 5-hole pattern) before bolting on the vent risers? I would think you would have plenty of intake. As far as lighting goes, I use a weed burner and light one spot dead center.
I purchased it already put together from the guys up there.

I don't have one but I really like the idea of the shield and block off plate. I assume that you have all the vents wide open at this point. How about trying a basket of Kingsford Blue, I usually run a combination of the blue & lump. Only other thing might be drilling the holes in the shield a little larger

I don't have a cooker like this..

I’m having trouble keeping the UDS from trying to die out after about 2-3 hours. Smoke stops and the temps start to trickle down

Does it trickle down and stabilize at a lower temp than you want? Or does it completely die out? I only ask because if I remember correctly, in my PBC the temp rises and then falls a bit before stabilizing.

Does it always do this? What happens if you open the intake a bit more than you think you need?

Your charcoal drawing moisture is a possibility, but unless is was setting for months at a time I can't believe it would cause this many problems.

Honestly, having done business with Frank and Crew in the past, my best advice would be to give him a call and explain your issue. Between him, Tom and the others they should be able to help you out. That group is a bunch of great guys, and are super knowledgeable and helpful. Tom actually gave me two recipes that I modified into one, that I use for one of my catering sides.

I don't have a cooker like this..

Does it trickle down and stabilize at a lower temp than you want? Or does it completely die out? I only ask because if I remember correctly, in my PBC the temp rises and then falls a bit before stabilizing.

Does it always do this? What happens if you open the intake a bit more than you think you need?
Your charcoal drawing moisture is a possibility, but unless is was setting for months at a time I can't believe it would cause this many problems.

Honestly, having done business with Frank and Crew in the past, my best advice would be to give him a call and explain your issue. Between him, Tom and the others they should be able to help you out. That group is a bunch of great guys, and are super knowledgeable and helpful. Tom actually gave me two recipes that I modified into one, that I use for one of my catering sides.
absolutely they are great people and the smoker is well made for sure

That is a nice looking drum smoker.

You could try running the air into the cooker with a blower and a PID controller. That should keep you charcoal lit even if it is a bit damp from humidity.

I have DC output PID controllers for sale that will run a blower to control your pit.

PM me if interested.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: BBQgrasshopper30
It would be easy enough to look inside the drum and verify there is a large hole in the center of the 4 bolt pattern where the vent pipes attach. Drums are a pretty simple design, they have intake, draft and exhaust.....
Oh there is a one hole for each pipe and the heat shield has multiple holes drilled into it also

Oh there is a one hole for each pipe and the heat shield has multiple holes drilled into it also
Good, this verifies that the design checks out. Unless a bird or a pack rat has left you a surprise in one of the tubes..... I think you need to change your fire management. Open both vents, fill that firebox up with fresh charcoal, light a spot in the center, leave the lid open for a few minutes then close the lid and play with the vents. I'd have something like some country ribs to cook while you play with fire.

I appreciate all the help. I’ll try to update this post once I figure it out. Shout out to Frank and Tom at SmokerBuilder Mfg who built it

So I caved and bought a BBQ guru DX3 and a pit viper fan. It really is pretty much a set it and forget it set up. Second time I used it I cooked a brisket over night and threw on a whole chicken when I pulled the brisket, and turned up the temp to 315 the next morning. I kept waking up every couple of hours and it was flying solo at 251 all night long. I pushed it a little bit and was able to get a 14 hour burn out of the full basket of charcoal. I’m not sure how that compares to not using a fan, but I was happy. Temps were solid . Maybe I was inpatient with figuring out the vents but it was worth the money! JC in GB hooked me up with one of his PID controllers also, can’t wait to get it and give it a try also against the guru. Thanks for all the help!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky