anyone know what kind of tree this was?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chris_harper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 21, 2006
Waco, TX
my landlord brought me some wood, and said he thought it was ash. i don't know one from the other (except oak, pecan, and mesquite).
1787bce8_vbattach11920.jpg

f5f1c4b4_vbattach11919.jpg

Hey chris,
Maybe u can take a pc. too your local tree experts to look @ it !! Also try a local nursery ,, I`m sure there gotta a few experts to know ??? I can`t tell bark looks like bark to me !!! lol Good Luck!!
cool.gif

that doesn't look like ash,ash has a more pronounced bark,kind of a diamond tread pattern to it.
how ever i'm sure there are different types,have you done a google search of it ?

mark

Looks like a silver maple. We don't have sugar maples down this far south but we do have red and silver maple. I've been told the southern maples are ok, but not a strong maple flavor like the northern maples are.

Chris, I don't know if its maple, but I'm 99.9% sure its not ash. I little harder to tell from a pic. I've split a ton of ash with a monster maul so I have an intimate knowledge of it.
icon_rolleyes.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky