anyone know there chestnut trees

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 14, 2014
Northeast pa
have a big chestnut tree and i'm not sure what type it is, never tried eating them but would like to try them, but afraid i'll poison myself. any clue on what type it is. Edible?
20210727_103137.jpg
20210727_103913 (1).jpg

The fruit would probably be bitter, but the nut inside would most likely be ok.
I really don't know, though. I've heard of people roasting them on an open fire at Christmas :-)

Reactions: kilo charlie
The fruit would probably be bitter, but the nut inside would most likely be ok.
I really don't know, though. I've heard of people roasting them on an open fire at Christmas :-)
sorry smokey, i should of been more clear that i was just talking about the nuts inside. years ago roasting them at christmas was pretty popular around here, now not so much.

My buddy said it's likely a hickory tree .. a shagbark hickory or a bitternut hickory. He's looking at it on his phone though.

Reactions: PAS
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky