Anyone Ever Smoked One of These?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you decide to try Elephant here is a good Recipe for Elephant Stew...

Elephant Stew

1 Medium Sized Elephant
1 Ton Salt
1 Ton Pepper
200 Bushells Carrots
500 Bushells Potatoes
3000 Sprigs Parsley
1500 Gallons Brown Gravy
  • Cut elephant into bite sized pieces(this will take 2 about months).
  • Cut vegetables into cubes (another 2 months).
  • Place meat in pan and cover with the brown gravy. Simmer for 4 weeks.
  • Shovel in the salt and pepper to taste.
  • When the meat is tender, add the vegetables.
  • Simmer for another 4 weeks.
  • Garnish with parsley.
This will serve 3800 people, but if more are expected, add 2 small rabbits.

You should do this only if necessary as most folk dislike getting a hare in their Stew.

who shoots a damn giraffe?
icon_rolleyes.gif

I never could see shooting a giraffe then I watched a TV program where a famous hunter stalked a giraffe. It could see him a mile off. every time he twitched the thing ran off. Apparently it is not as easy as one might think.

The show ended with a segment showing the whole villiage gathering to cut up and cart off the meat each to their own respective huts. In an hour or so there was almost nothing left of it. Because they recieve the meat from the hunts and some of them are employed by the guides and outfitters the villagers weren't forced to become poachers just to survive. With their livlihood at stake the villiagers are also more apt to report poaching.

Just like in North America the hunt is tightly regulated and designed to thin down the herd so it didn't over graze, harming the environment. That probably isn't any consolation to the poor animal being hunted but It does do some good.

As for the taste, I had a giraffe Steak $18.00 at a Kelowna restaurant once. Nothing special but not nasty either. Certainly not worth $18.00

I also never understood why kill a Zebra. I mean its a horse for gods sake. Perhaps because its easier to spell? <---cheap shot!

On the same TV program, the famous hunter guy killed a zebra. He explained that they are not any where near like horses. They are sly as hell and far harder to hunt than most north american game to stalk and shoot. Plus they provide the villagers with food.

Africans have been eating the large grass eaters of the african landscape for millions of years so shooting them does not seem out of place or odd to them like it does for us folks. They think of them like we think of deer, elk, moose, buffalo etc. They are Food.

I see almost no excuse for shooting a hippo just for a trophy and his reasons for shooting one left me shaking my head thinking he was an idiot.

Hippos kill more people in Africa than Lions, elephants, and other animals put together. Plus they destroy and eat crops that people need to survive. I'd kill one destroying crops causing in some cases starvation of the farmers and their families but just for a trophy no way.

Mini rant over whew! I feel so much better now.

I agree Roger.Trophy hunting is wrong,but if it is game management-survival then i have no problem whether eatin or stuffed and put out for show etc....

Knew this one was gonna go south........

All Im gonna say is that I have worked all over the planet. Ive been in places that most people have never heard of, and they are all different that what all of us here are use to. To the villagers this was what we call grocery shopping

Far too often we forget that other cultures have different ideas on what food is.

We seem to forget that not all countries have supermarkets on every corner and a Visa or Mastercard to pay with.

Living in the "Land of Milk and Honey" has spoiled most of us to the point we forget the people in some countries are lucky to have one meal a day not 3 meals and a plethora of fast food joints available in case we need a snack.

I'm sorry, I don't understand why some think that it is so terrible to kill animals in fair chase hunts just because we don't think of them as food. All of the meat is used to help the people that live there and like someone said, it helps keep the locals from poaching (one of the largest problems for wildlife in Africa) and brings in the money to pay for wildlife officers. The reason we don't loose sleep over the slaughter of a cow or pig is because we think of them as food and always have. However a pig or a cow has no chance of surviving the steel rod they put in their brain (or bullet, whatever way they use to kill them at the meat packers). At least any animal that is in the wild has the chance to live until old age, if he or she can outwit all of their preditors. Not very many cows or pigs live till old age, in Kansas anyway.

This may be true, but most of us on this forum would probably never kill a pig if you could get them in the smoker alive. Then once he's in the smoker, he's on his own.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

BC

Hmmm at first Carpetride scratches his head with a wtf look on his face! But then he remembers traveling in South America and the stories his brother brought back from Asia and decides its just their culture. Would I go hunt a Giraffe? Well, maybe, I would like to have the opportunity to make that decision but yes I could be a trophy hunter if the meat went to a good cause...don't you all remember all those starving children in Africa?
icon_wink.gif
(Images of Sally Struthers should be appearing in your head right now.)

So anyway yeah I guess I could/would do it assuming the thing isn't penned up! Would actually like to hear more about the hunt and how it went down. What caliber of gun was used and the approximate yardage.

I just noticed a rifle with a scope in the left background.

Too funny........ I'll have to send that one to my friend..LMFAO !!!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I can't see the point in this either? I understand that it brings money to local economy, but I thought that giraffes weren't on a game hunting list....I'd take down a white tail or muley any day, but a giraffe? That's like taking down an albino deer. I just couldn't do it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky