Anyone else have a "shop dog" or four legged best friend?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gnawed 500gm cake of palm sugar found in back yard.

So its the big guy who never took anything in the 7 years he was here on his own or the new girl that arrived 2 years ago who eats every meal like its her last
biggrin.gif

Don't think I need to be Sherlock Holmes to work that one out.

This one's mom was famous for dragging down leftovers from field dressed deer. I woke up one morning and thought she dug up a turtle... it was the frozen deer liver....

Another time she tore off the entire hind quarter of a deer we had hanging. I jammed what was left of the bones in the can and left a note for the garbage man. Never dull around here.

Sadly this pup passed away suddenly Sunday morning. Completely unexpected, was fine all day Saturday, then became real distressed and gasping for air early Sunday morning. I can never say for sure, but I think it had something to do with the new flea collar I put on her. After I put it on her about 2 weeks ago, she began "coughing". Nothing major, at least I thought. Took the collar off her last week, but I fear the damage was already done.

I'm gonna miss her, she was really something else when it came to being everywhere I was.

Well , I guess we'll have a dog next week when we move in to our new house.

Some streetdog came to the house e couple of times , we gave him some food and he became friendly to us and lately started to be protective to our property.

I'll let the poor bastard stay.

Hey tjs

We don't use flea collars.  We just go to Wallyworld and buy the liquid flea and tick.  Put it on the back of the hounds and all is good.  Actually, living out in the bush, we don't put ANY collars on the dogs at all--too easy for them to get tangled up and strangle.

Gary

Hey Frank

Your'e such a hard ass.  Sounds like that dog's found a forever home.  Hair on you

Gary
Hey Gary,

yeah , if Dodo (the name of the dog) wants to stay he's more then welcome.

Here in Thailand there are a lot of street dogs , so I think why buy an over priced pure breed dog if so many poor animals are starving to death beside the road...

I know , it's a waterdrop on a hot plate , but's better then nothing.

I have 1 question for you : what's the meaning of "Hair on you" ?

My native language isn't English , so...

Hey Frank

Sorry, didn't realise you would miss the meaning. " Hair on ya" means you did good, you're a good person, you're someone I would like to meet. It is one of my highest compliments.   Just out of curiosity, your English is excellent, so what is your native language??? 

Gary

Last edited:

Hey Frank

Sorry, didn't realise you would miss the meaning. " Hair on ya" means you did good, you're a good person, you're someone I would like to meet. It is one of my highest compliments.   Just out of curiosity, your English is excellent, so what is your native language??? 

Gary
Thank you Gary , as well for the compliments as for the explanation.

My native language is Flemish , 99 % the same as Dutch.

But my misses is Thai - and was an English teacher - and I'm living in Thailand , so I use English for some years allready , some times even having problems remembering Flemish words.

Quite a forum here , isn't it.

Learning about smoking , BBQ , and now language !

Great !

Thx again Gary !

Frank

This one's mom was famous for dragging down leftovers from field dressed deer. I woke up one morning and thought she dug up a turtle... it was the frozen deer liver....

Another time she tore off the entire hind quarter of a deer we had hanging. I jammed what was left of the bones in the can and left a note for the garbage man. Never dull around here.

Sadly this pup passed away suddenly Sunday morning. Completely unexpected, was fine all day Saturday, then became real distressed and gasping for air early Sunday morning. I can never say for sure, but I think it had something to do with the new flea collar I put on her. After I put it on her about 2 weeks ago, she began "coughing". Nothing major, at least I thought. Took the collar off her last week, but I fear the damage was already done.

I'm gonna miss her, she was really something else when it came to being everywhere I was.
Sorry for the loss, it's so hard sometimes when one of these guys leave us. Even more so when it is unexpected.

Jason

This is Akira. She is our Australian Shepard. Too smart for her own good at times. Whenever I am prepping in the kitchen she is right under my feet. Occasionally something will "accidental" fall and she is quick to clean it up when told it is ok, but if told not to she will just leave it. But when it comes to BBQ, she is all over it. She has to taste everything or she really lets you know that you have broken the "code". I have grown up with Labs and my wife grew up with Boxers. She had a boxer when we got together, unfortunately we lost him to tumors a couple years ago. I could not see myself ever being without a dog for long. They are just too cool!!!

This is Akira. She is our Australian Shepard. Too smart for her own good at times. Whenever I am prepping in the kitchen she is right under my feet. Occasionally something will "accidental" fall and she is quick to clean it up when told it is ok, but if told not to she will just leave it. But when it comes to BBQ, she is all over it. She has to taste everything or she really lets you know that you have broken the "code". I have grown up with Labs and my wife grew up with Boxers. She had a boxer when we got together, unfortunately we lost him to tumors a couple years ago. I could not see myself ever being without a dog for long. They are just too cool!!!

Very cool!! I love aussies , I got my wife a aussie/border collie mix from the pound right before we got married 15 yrs ago, she passed earlier year but my wife still has not decided on a new one for her self. Every time we start looking she starts comparing prospective puppy to Penny on breed traits and behavior. She will find the right puppy when the right puppy finds her I try to tell her. Penny was to smart also, we played the tennis ball game. Every morning we would hide 5 tennis balls throughout the house and by the time my wife got home all 5 balls would be in the living room floor all bunched together....lol

Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky