Anybody Smoked a Coon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cripplecreek

Fire Starter
Original poster
Being the redneck country boy that I am, I have some guys that work for me that eat coon and talk about how good it is.  I've never tried coon myself but have them offered to me all the time.  I figure that If I'm going to try one it will have to be smoked.  Anyone have experience here (or ideas)?

Mike

Eaten corn fed coon that was  stewed down w/ sweet potatos. Good stuff.

icon_cool.gif

Well it looks like Buckwheat tried some.........I have never tried it but I have never had any offered to me either. My whole theory on this is try it twice for it might not been cooked right the first time. So get some smoke it and don't forget the Q-view.

I have never had "Smoked Coon", but my PA redneck Dad, brought one home when I was a kid. He cooked it in Mom's old gas stove. It stank up the house! Boy was she Pizzed!!! My brother & I were laughing for days, but not in front of the old man.

I have eaten & enjoyed many strange things, but that Coon was terrible!

Bear

heres a moma and some babies, i guess we should try the babies, they would be more tender?

should we smoke em  beer can style or spatchcock em?

f2efe317_10-14028.jpg

th BIG thing about coon is getting all the musk glands out when skinning.

If you don't you will smell up the house for a week. and it will taste awful.

Kinda like not trimming ALL the fat off gator meat b4 cooking.

hey eman, take it easy on the gators, just cause they stink this year it wont last too long,  HOPEFULLY!

your tigers got lucky on that fake punt

That's probably what my Dad didn't do.

We always cut the scent glands off the deer's back legs before we even gut them, but I'm sure he wasn't well versed on preparing a Coon.

It was funny, Mom bitching, Dad opening the windows, and my brother & I laughing our butts off (in secret).

I threw up in my mouth a little when I read that. That is just wrong on so many levels. LOL! I said I wasn't coming back to this thread but it's kinda like that really bad train wreck, you know you shouldn't look because it is so disturbing, but you can't help yourself!

69a23e71_squirrelscared.jpg

Now squirrel,

Coon and gator are just like any other meat . If i cooked up a big pot of coon  sauce piquant or some  gator court boullion You'ld be asking for seconds .

As long as you didn't know what you were eating. Deer , elk, and most other wild game have musk glands that must be carefully removed when skinning / butchering.. Some are real strong  Coon , Elk ,Deer . Some you dont even know they are there . Rabbit , Squirrel , ETC.

Oh the Squirrel has got some musk glands alright. A couple of bags of boiled peanuts and a few beers and I'll crop dust everything in sight.

74d87edd_IMG_7015copy.jpg

OK thats one keyboard  you owe me. I just spewed coffee  all over this one LMFAO

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky