Anybody Ever Used Cheese In Cured, Dry Aged Sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
As some of my recent posts have indicated, I've gotten big into curing and dry aging different Italian sausages. Had a thought (brain fart??) coming home from my little pub a little while ago that I thought I'd run by the group. Has anybody used cheese in a cured and dry aged sausage? I've made hundreds of pounds of smoked sausages with high temp cheese but it never dawned on me to use it in a different application. Being that the dry aged sausage will not be cooked I doubt I'd need high temp cheese but and wondering if it may have an adverse affect on the aging process or the overall flavor when done. Any guidance would be very much appreciated. I have a friend coming this weekend to make one of the sausages I've posted and would like to toss out the inclusion of the cheese if it's a viable idea.

HELP!!
Robert

Wow. Never thought of it or seen it. Let me make some contacts.

Never heard about dry aged sausage and cheese mix....I am very interested to see outcome but I do have one question: how do you plan to cure and protect cheese from spoilage (once cheese gets mixed with wet sausage meat)... it takes time to fully cure sausage and the interior of the sausage may stay moist for period of time longer than cheese shelf life....

Never heard about dry aged sausage and cheese mix....I am very interested to see outcome but I do have one question: how do you plan to cure and protect cheese from spoilage (once cheese gets mixed with wet sausage meat)... it takes time to fully cure sausage and the interior of the sausage may stay moist for period of time longer than cheese shelf life....
This is exactly what I was wondering....thanks for posting....

Use high temp cheese.
If your making your dry style salumi right you will loose weight by moisture loss.

Normal high temp cheeses are made using highly acidic or with high salt conditions that denature the proteins.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky