anybody else spatchcock their bird from the breast ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JeffB1961

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
i love picking the back bone and neck and my favorite piece is the tail . my grandma called it the last piece to go through the fence hehehe . so i'm not a fan of cutting out the back . so here's what i do and i loose very little meat . does anybody else do this ?

20220305_112610.jpg
20220305_112714.jpg
20220305_112804.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
I don't cut around the breast bone. I typically cut out the backbone with poultry shears by cutting up both sides of the backbone. You won't loose any meat that way Then put a little slice at the top of the breastbone, flip it and break the breast bone, then I can peal it out or leave it if I want.
The last 2 I did sliced it in half after cutting the backbone and pulled the breast out and had 2 halves of chicken.

Nope.
But I can see any method of flattening poultry getting the same desired results of quicker cooking and getting the thighs and legs cooked without killing the breast.
I save the cutout backbone for making stock.

My grandmother and father used to fight over the turkey tail.

• Haha
Reactions: JeffB1961
I’ve done it both ways and both produce the same end results. Personally, I prefer your way and spatchcock most of mine from the breast.

Reactions: JeffB1961
For us, we like the original way. I think the breasts stay juicier if they are attached to the bone during cooking.
Al

Reactions: JLeonard
I cut down the back and fillet all the way around the the center breast and remove the entire rib cage. The only bones left are wing and leg bones. Then on the grill in the center on foil and only cook with the two outside burners at 300 for 1.5 hours or so.

Nope, never really thought about other than traditional, and I like having the backbone for stock, but I’ll have to try this way …

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky