Any Tracker Boat Owners

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Sorry to get off topic but so much knowledge and helpful people here. As some of you know I been on a search for boat for months now. I been thinking I want alum. My last boat which was 20 years, Wow been that long, was a Manta Ray FS with a 4.3 inboard. Man that boat was heavy but was a great boat. Lake Texoma is a huge lake and can turn into a beast in a hurry. Not sure now how Alum handles in rough water? I found a 2014 Tracker Pro Guide V-175 Combo with Mercury 115 4 Stroke. Boat prices are crazy and don't look to come down anytime soon. Any feed back would be welcome. Thanks

1641906957277.png

Not sure now how Alum handles in rough water?

Brian , i'm not much help on the Tracker . But think they look and seem like great boats, but you mentioned how Aluminum boats handle in rough water. It all depends on the boat. As for aluminum there are great boats made with this that are great in rough water. Both of these are Harbor Craft boats

1641907594105.png
1641907678764.png

many different designs

But I would not go out in say my wife's 12' Springbock
1641907855355.png

But my 16' heavy gauged alum. deep "V" with a 30 hp I have no problem going out in the ocean a mile or to on a semi normal weather day. But not that comfortable. All depends on the boat
So Aluminum is a good material for a boat
Just my observations and usage

David

Last edited:
Brian, weight and hull design are the 2 most important factors when using a boat in rough water. Without either or both, a boat CAN beat you up when it gets rough. An example would be skiffs such as a Carolina Skiff. Flat bottom and light, they will beat the crap out you when the lake or bay gets nasty, but they are a very stable boat with lots of room for fishing and will get in skinny water. It can be a trade off. Deeper V-hulls will cut through the slop, but may have a tendency to roll some and may not get as shallow. Then length comes into play. Longer boats are more stable and don't pitch as bad as shorter boats. Aluminum boats tend to be lighter and draft less water so you can get more shallow with them.

All that being said, Tracker makes solid boats and that hull and length you are looking at will be better in rough water when under way.

I'm a fiberglass, center console, bay boat guy, but I have many fishing buddies who run aluminum boats and one says he'll never own anything else. I see a good many Trackers on the water and don't hear of many complaints so I think you'll be fine with that boat. And YES, boat prices are crazy with no relief in sight...

I'm a fiberglass, center console

That the kind my fishing buddy has. I really like it but don't think my 1997 Jeep up to pulling it. Going to have to find a truck at some point but they crazy also and not sure what to get.. I retired early do to work situation and have few years to SS so have to watch my money He has a wireless trolling motor which I am going to want.

It sold. Guy said it went for few thousand over that price! Time to take a break from this madness. About ready to start jumping fences and fishing ponds like the old days! Not

It sold. Guy said it went for few thousand over that price! Time to take a break from this madness. About ready to start jumping fences and fishing ponds like the old days! Not
Crazy right now and with spring just around the corner, it's seller's market. I felt that in a normal market, that price was a little high, but was low for this crazy market. They probably had it listed low to entice a bidding war which it seems they did.

Not sure what the tow rating of your jeep is, but at just over 23' long, the dry weight of my boat is 2750 lbs. The motor weighs in at about 660 lbs. Then add in gas, tackle, gear, etc. I pull it with an F250 diesel...

Brian , i'm not much help on the Tracker . But think they look and seem like great boats, but you mentioned how Aluminum boats handle in rough water. It all depends on the boat. As for aluminum there are great boats made with this that are great in rough water. Both of these are Harbor Craft boats

View attachment 521841 View attachment 521842
many different designs

But I would not go out in say my wife's 12' Springbock
View attachment 521843

But my 16' heavy gauged alum. deep "V" with a 30 hp I have no problem going out in the ocean a mile or to on a semi normal weather day. But not that comfortable. All depends on the boat
So Aluminum is a good material for a boat
Just my observations and usage

David
As David pointed out AL boats "can" handle some of the worst water conditions there are if they are design to....This is my old AL boat.......it is a center stick steer....the ultimate setup for piloting!
DIA-Road.jpg
WildSheep.JPG

I currently have the newer version of the harbor craft (kingfisher with ¼ inch reinforced transom, with transom-width UHMW bottom armor, with Sportjet) that is airborne above in Davids pic, it is a sweet boat but won't handle the big water that my HCM would, except it will handle very shallow and gravel bars much better..... It is also only 1880 dry so no trailer breaks and I pull it with my wife's jeep not problem

All that said the Trackers are a nice boat but by design you just have to worry about the transom height in bigger water. Oh I'm a HUGE fan of AL boats

If you can find one of these in your area they are an excellent water craft and I would recommend them!
https://kingfisherboats.com/multi-species-series/

ps, edit, yes boat prices are crazy right now.....This is the only time in my life that buying a boat is an investment vs a bust our another thousand to burn deal..... Boats have been appreciating vs depreciating in these our parts. My suggestion is if you see one you like you run for the door to be the first in line.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKsmoking
civilsmoker civilsmoker , those Alaskan style boats are unbelievably tough and the things that you guys do with them and the places you take them is unreal. With a jet drive, they'll go just about anywhere there's water. I would buy one in a heartbeat, but the are as elusive as hen's teeth here in South Carolina...:emoji_wink:

Reactions: civilsmoker
Haul thickness is where most aluminum boats lack toughness.
I have a Gregor 17' deep vee that I use for hunting diver ducks and fishing lakes and rivers.
Then I also have a 17' Prodrive mud boat and motor that I use for hunting mashes and back waters, that boat is a beast it's made from 3/16s" of plate aluminum. It has been used in swamps, and it goes right over submerged trees and stumps.

Good luck.
Dan

newer version of the harbor craft (kingfisher with ¼ inch reinforced transom, with transom-width UHMW bottom armor, with Sportjet

civil I always loved the Harbor Craft style . Those are great pictures of your boat

I always wanted a Penn Yan boat , when I was looking for the hardtop one I wanted , there was none that were fit to buy . So I ended up with a Bayliner Trophy, I drove down to Maryland to get it in Feb. and brought it home . It was a great boat for the ocean around here , and i also had a Centre console Painted it black to match my truckat the time. No problem going off 5 mile or so with it. that was a lot of fun to fish and play with . These were both fiberglass though.

Not what Brian is looking for though.
P6056625.JPG

P6306666.JPG

099.JPG

100.JPG

But now I have my 16 foot heavy gauge Al. 30 hp It was built for the Lands and Forest Dept. I bought it from a guy that used it for duck hunting...he painted everything even the motor. lol
DSC_0157.JPG

I built a ramp with a power winch to take in and out of the lake
DSC_0556.JPG

David

Reactions: civilsmoker
I throwing in the towel for now. Need a break from looking. Message from dealer:

That definitely makes sense and boat prices are expected to go up again at the start of the 2nd quarter (April 1st)

This is what I drive in the summer volunteering for the YMCA in the San Juan Islands. She is constructed of heavy aluminum. I've been in some pretty rough water and she took it very well. As Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke mentioned, the design of the hull and quality of the construction is everything.

There must be an internet forum where you can get first hand info on that model.

7A5EE1BD-412A-4D5E-A75F-47ED0705B6D4.jpeg

Yes Brian the prices here are very high , used almost the same as new right now , and come spring around here it will be worse

I would keep looking , you never know when some guy just wants to get ride of boat for some reason and still might find that special price , Not at dealer though

David

I throwing in the towel for now. Need a break from looking. Message from dealer:

That definitely makes sense and boat prices are expected to go up again at the start of the 2nd quarter (April 1st)
Brian, If you are willing to travel to get one they I think you could find one in these parts.....If you are I can give you some dealers to work with.... Just let me know.

Sorry to get off topic but so much knowledge and helpful people here. As some of you know I been on a search for boat for months now. I been thinking I want alum. My last boat which was 20 years, Wow been that long, was a Manta Ray FS with a 4.3 inboard. Man that boat was heavy but was a great boat. Lake Texoma is a huge lake and can turn into a beast in a hurry. Not sure now how Alum handles in rough water? I found a 2014 Tracker Pro Guide V-175 Combo with Mercury 115 4 Stroke. Boat prices are crazy and don't look to come down anytime soon. Any feed back would be welcome. Thanks

View attachment 521840

I had to look up the lake you go to. Looks like the lakes I live by, both dam controlled and large.
For your reading enjoyment research Lake Norfork and Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas.
I live at a huge fishing/water sport area. We have multi boat manufacturers in the area including: BassCat, Ranger, Vexus. Majority of people I see on the lakes here are fiberglass V bottom bass boats.
Good luck on your search!!!

Last edited:
Brian the first thing to look at with an aluminum boat is did they weld it or rivet it together? I lived a coastal city on the Gulf of Mexico for pretty much all my life till about 7 years ago. In the salt water of the Gulf pretty much all boats are fiberglass hulls. Down there we can go out in flat seas and pretty much no wind then have a squall kick up and all of a sudden you're in high winds and heavy seas. Those riveted boats don't like that beating that happens in those heavy seas and rivets start coming loose. Where we live now north FL near the border with GA there are lots of lakes and there is a mix of fiberglass and aluminum boats on most of the lakes.
Prices are crazy as you know and who knows if and when they get back to what was normal. Vehicles the same as I'm sure you've noticed as well

I peruse The Hull Truth frequently.
Way off topic, but I was a frequent poster on The Hull Truth until just over a year ago. Got so sick and tired of the attitudes and negativity that I quit commenting, one of the many reasons that I like it here. I still read and look at the boats for sale and the electronics forums, but do not contribute anymore...

Way off topic, but I was a frequent poster on The Hull Truth until just over a year ago. Got so sick and tired of the attitudes and negativity that I quit commenting, one of the many reasons that I like it here. I still read and look at the boats for sale and the electronics forums, but do not contribute anymore...
I been using it for reviews. I spent a while looking Fl today. Same as here if you can find anything sky high! Beginning to think this is a lost cause.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky