Any thoughts on this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
So I'm going to smoke 2 turkeys tomorrow. Turkeys have been brining, sides are being pre-made, house is clean, beers are cold. Tomorrow is supposed to be cold and rainy/snowy here and I don't have anything to cover the smoker with. I thought if I kept the box in the garage with the small door cracked and a "chimney" of sort attached and vented outside, with a big fan to gently blow it away from the house/garage, then it would be ok to keep "inside". I'll also keep the big garage door cracked for more ventilation. Here's a pic of the setup. Does anyone see any issues with this?
20211124_152118.jpg

Reactions: kruizer
Looks ok to me. Just don't leave it unattended.The only thing I recommend is a thermometer with a hi/lo temp alarm for an added extra layer of protection.

Reactions: TNJAKE
On a related note, anyone ever done 2 turkeys at the same time in a MES before? Both are 14ish pounds and I know they'll fit, no problem. Just curious about cooking time. I see everything from 15-20 mins per LB to 20-40 mins. That's a big difference. Be nice to know what time to start them if I want to eat at 3pm.

I did a 15 lb. turkey, cut in half, and a 9 lb. breast, spatchcocked in my MES40 a couple weeks ago. Took about 6 hours.

I did a 15 lb. turkey, cut in half, and a 9 lb. breast, spatchcocked in my MES40 a couple weeks ago. Took about 6 hours.
Ahh, ok. I wasn't planning on spatchcocking (wanted a full turkey presentation for both tables). Hmm, I'm thinking maybe plan on 8-10 hours???

Should work, but I’ll just add that the exhaust should go up hill even if slightly. The opening at the end of the exhaust pipe should be slightly higher, or more than the outlet point on the cooker. Heat rises so should chimneys.

as far as cook time, what temp you running? That’s the biggest factor on time.

I used to go by times. Now, I just use them as an estimate, but go by temp for doneness. For a turkey, 160-165F in the breast, 175-185F in the thigh. No matter how long it takes. Since you have a Bluetooth unit with multiple probes, stick one in a thigh, and one in a breast on each bird. For a time estimate, as I recall it was 45 minutes per pound, at 250F. That is not additive because you have 2 birds, either. So, figure the time for the larger of the two, and it should be a decent estimate. But, use the thigh and breast temps to verify its done. If it's done early, you can always throw them in the oven to warm them back up. If you are able to run higher than 250, you will want to, and that will cut down your cook time, too. I plan on running mine tomorrow at 325-350, depending on if the smoker decides to play nice.

Setup looks good. Would it be too cold to just leave the big garage door open? I have had to do that before when it was raining and not had a problem as far as fumes and smoke go. Def run the MES at 275. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

Don't forget the peach dump cake!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I think your pushing the safety limits trying to run two whole14lbers at the same time in a MES. You may find yourself hanging out in that 40 - 140* zone too long. Usually it's recommended not to exceed 12lb whole birds when smoking them. Recovery time of your MES is going to be your biggest obstacle. You may want to think about going two hrs in smoke and finishing in the oven. Poultry takes on smoke pretty quickly - so also beware of oversmoking.

Chris

Should work, but I’ll just add that the exhaust should go up hill even if slightly. The opening at the end of the exhaust pipe should be slightly higher, or more than the outlet point on the cooker. Heat rises so should chimneys.

as far as cook time, what temp you running? That’s the biggest factor on time.
Thanks, yes I'll make sure it does. Will need to rig it outside the door, but shouldn't be a problem.

I used to go by times. Now, I just use them as an estimate, but go by temp for doneness. For a turkey, 160-165F in the breast, 175-185F in the thigh. No matter how long it takes. Since you have a Bluetooth unit with multiple probes, stick one in a thigh, and one in a breast on each bird. For a time estimate, as I recall it was 45 minutes per pound, at 250F. That is not additive because you have 2 birds, either. So, figure the time for the larger of the two, and it should be a decent estimate. But, use the thigh and breast temps to verify its done. If it's done early, you can always throw them in the oven to warm them back up. If you are able to run higher than 250, you will want to, and that will cut down your cook time, too. I plan on running mine tomorrow at 325-350, depending on if the smoker decides to play nice.
I will definitely go by temp, just hoping to get a good idea of start time. Would hate to budget 9 hours and be done in 5. If it's within an hour I'm fine with that. Hoping not to have to use the oven as we only have one and that will be full of sides. But I will if need to for sure!

Setup looks good. Would it be too cold to just leave the big garage door open? I have had to do that before when it was raining and not had a problem as far as fumes and smoke go. Def run the MES at 275. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

Don't forget the peach dump cake!
I'm planning on 275, that's the highest this MES will go. I could leave it open, I don't think it will be too cold for the smoker. Maybe more for me though LOL.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I think your pushing the safety limits trying to run two whole14lbers at the same time in a MES. You may find yourself hanging out in that 40 - 140* zone too long. Usually it's recommended not to exceed 12lb whole birds when smoking them. Recovery time of your MES is going to be your biggest obstacle. You may want to think about going two hrs in smoke and finishing in the oven. Poultry takes on smoke pretty quickly - so also beware of oversmoking.

Chris
That right there is my biggest concern: too long in the danger zone. UGH! I will probably only add chips for half the cook time, I don't want it too smoky, and the family probably won't either. Looks like I may be using the oven after all. This may be more of a chore than first thought...

I would recommend smoking for two hours and finishing in the oven. You can always put your sides in the MES to cook or keep warm. It's better to enjoy your holiday with family and friends then to be fretting over the smoker. Good luck and have fun.

Chris

That right there is my biggest concern: too long in the danger zone. UGH! I will probably only add chips for half the cook time, I don't want it too smoky, and the family probably won't either. Looks like I may be using the oven after all. This may be more of a chore than first thought...
gmc2003 gmc2003 is right. I know you want full birds for presentation but spatchcocked birds look nice also and would likely eliminate the danger zone concern as long as you keep the smoker closed as much as possible. Most important in the first couple hours as the turkeys are warming

If you weren't wanting to do the Clark Griswold picture perfect table carving then I would spatch them. They cook more evenly and it reduces the cook time. Save the oven for the ladies!

Reactions: pi guy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky