Any MyPin PID Settings for an MES40 out there?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
Hey everyone.

Over the weekend I built a PID controller using a MyPin PID that is functioning and I have the temp probe calibrated to be accurate (was low 5F degrees).

I'm just wondering if anyone out there uses a MyPin PID on their MES40 and wants to share their PID settings?
This way I can take the easy way out and not have to trial and error and troubleshoot to dial in on my MES before I give it away haha. :D

It's a MyPin TA4 here:

FYI, for anyone curious buying all of the parts for the build ran me like $124 and I already had electric connectors, heat shrink insulation, and tools to do the job. So as I always mention buying the Auber PID for $150 pre shipping/tax is really really comparable if you are going to buy everything (including tools) from scratch to build a PID.

Plus the labor of putting it all together is done for you :)

Let me know what info you have. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Well tallbm tallbm , it's nice talking to myself. A credit to dementia! (That was for any Megadeth fans out there hahaha)

I have findings to report in case anyone ever comes across this thread!

Good news on my MYPIN T4 controller I built. Factory settings of P=3, I=210, and D=0 worked fine in my MES40.

I put the PID probe right in the center under the lowest rack and smoke from lowest rack up.
I have my remote thermometers measuring left/back and front/right of the lowest rack as well.
I had to adjust the offset a good amount so that the rack heat level was about average but I think this was greatly impacted by airflow and the amount of stuff in the smoker, not a faulty probe.

Airflow has a major impact on this and I was cooking with a pan, rack in the pan, and 22lbs of pork butts in the rack, so a different smoke would need different adjustments lol.

I did test the probe in boiling water and it was 5 degrees low so I know how it reads there.

In all I'm extremely pleased with the MYPIN TA4 and it's ease of use. Using a PID is always kind of a foreign and very technical user experience but this one is easier when keeping that in mind.

In all the test smoke was successful. The PID didn't need any P-I-D value tuning and the meat came out great!!!
0m3Z1o3.jpg

hpDLbi2.jpg

UoQjUyW.jpg

fNKSySr.jpg

Oh BTW forgot to mention PID held within 1 degree either way of a 275F set temp!

Reactions: chopsaw
Oh BTW forgot to mention PID held within 1 degree either way of a 275F set temp!
That's a reflection of P and I being set correctly .
How is the response when you open the door with D being set to zero ?
Just wondering . You've got it workin great looks like .

I have my 30 with the Auber set about the same now . It used to be P=10
I=211 D=208

After I changed the element , that went to crap . Don't ask me , but the old element have very low resistance .
Anyway I guessed at it for to long , then started over like I explained in other threads .
So now I ended up with P=5 I=210 D=208 .
Happy to hear you got it workin .

Reactions: denny
That's a reflection of P and I being set correctly .
How is the response when you open the door with D being set to zero ?
Just wondering . You've got it workin great looks like .

I have my 30 with the Auber set about the same now . It used to be P=10
I=211 D=208

After I changed the element , that went to crap . Don't ask me , but the old element have very low resistance .
Anyway I guessed at it for to long , then started over like I explained in other threads .
So now I ended up with P=5 I=210 D=208 .
Happy to hear you got it workin .

The response is good. This PID controller just pushes right through with that P=3 value brining it up fast.
Initial overshoot wasnt too bad maybe 7-8 degrees when I put my eyeball on it but could be higher. In any case I don't worry too much about initial overshoot.

If I were to see too many issues with door opening I would pump up D like you did.

Now that this is tested and confirmed I can hand it off with confidence. Also I know I can build me one of these at any point and I'm liking the MYPIN PID so far. It is simple to use and just works at this point with no fuss :)

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky