Any Instant Pot Yogurt Makers Out There??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
Hey everyone!
I have some mild yogurt starter culture that should be arriving in a few days and I plan to make lactose free yogurt in my Instant Pot!!!
Lactose free because I'm doing a 24hr fermentation which I'm reading does the trick... and I can't handle much lactose before I get sick lol.
I'm going to hedge my bets a bit more and use Ultra Filtered milk which is already "lactose free" due to it's processing. My hope is that with less sugars to start with that my yogurt will be almost sugar free too!!!

Any of you folks out there make your own yogurt at home or via the Instant Pot???
I'd be curious to know and pick your brains and exchange ideas.

I plan to sweeten this batch with Erythritol (next batch with Allulose) and use imitation Vanilla extract.
I have some watermelon, strawberry, and green apple LorAnn flavor oils I can play around with for like individual cup flavoring... again to play around haha.
My goals are low carb, low sugar, and lactose free.

Any ideas welcome! :D

Well, I wish I could help you on the lactose free part. I have only ever used whole milk, milk powder, and a small container of plain Fage yogurt for the culture when making yogurt in the Instant Pot. And to be honest, I haven't made yogurt in years so I have forgot a lot. :emoji_disappointed:

Reactions: tallbm
I found this site very helpful when I made yogurt in the IP.

If you have a sous vide function on the instant pot, then I pitch a containeras a starter in and hold at 110. But first microwave a half gallon of milk whatever % you want 180 so no scorch fast heating to unwind proteins for five minutes, then pour into 110 holding vessel. 4 hours sweet milk tasting yogurt, 12 hours the lactic acid makes it tangier. You can do it in the oven preheated to 300 and turned off with light bulb on, plastic wrap glass bowl of yogurt wrapped in a beach towel overnight. Auber's WS-1510ELPM set to Auber' P=4, I=0 and D=40 is the no overshoot algorithum setting to turn analog crockpots and rice cookers into sous vide no need for stirring, convects on its own. Crockpot PID yogurt is what I do. Unscrew handle from glass lid. Suspend multi use sensor through hole in lid with wooden spring clothes pins on each side of the lid.

Well, I wish I could help you on the lactose free part. I have only ever used whole milk, milk powder, and a small container of plain Fage yogurt for the culture when making yogurt in the Instant Pot. And to be honest, I haven't made yogurt in years so I have forgot a lot. :emoji_disappointed:
It reads as being simple and the lactose free part is simply letting the yogurt ferment for 24 hours so the bacteria eats up all the lactose. Lactose free= just waiting longer.

I found this site very helpful when I made yogurt in the IP.

Thanks for the info! I've been reading up a lot of posts like that and they are super helpful. I'll be doing something very similar. I only change that I'm doing 1 gallon at a time so no jars in the instant pot for me and I'm going for 24 hour fermentation to eliminate the lactose. This is why I'm choosing mild yogurt culture. The longer a culture goes the more lactic acid is produced = more sour flavor. With a mild culture I can get much less lactic acid for the extra long fermentation period :)

If you have a sous vide function on the instant pot, then I pitch a containeras a starter in and hold at 110. But first microwave a half gallon of milk whatever % you want 180 so no scorch fast heating to unwind proteins for five minutes, then pour into 110 holding vessel. 4 hours sweet milk tasting yogurt, 12 hours the lactic acid makes it tangier. You can do it in the oven preheated to 300 and turned off with light bulb on, plastic wrap glass bowl of yogurt wrapped in a beach towel overnight. Auber's WS-1510ELPM set to Auber' P=4, I=0 and D=40 is the no overshoot algorithum setting to turn analog crockpots and rice cookers into sous vide no need for stirring, convects on its own. Crockpot PID yogurt is what I do. Unscrew handle from glass lid. Suspend multi use sensor through hole in lid with wooden spring clothes pins on each side of the lid.

My Instant Pot has 1 better than an SV function. It's got a yogurt function which is multi step. 1. to heat the milk high enough as 1st step then I let the milk cool (pull pot out and place in ice tub to cool it faster.
2. warm the milk and hold for fermentation

I'll sanitize the whole thing of course. I don't have a sanitize function but I'm pretty sure the steam function for 15 minutes will get the job done :D

I have an SV machine and a cooler though if the Instant Pot fails me. So I should be able to march on no matter what I encounter :)

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Thanks for the info! I've been reading up a lot of posts like that and they are super helpful. I'll be doing something very similar. I only change that I'm doing 1 gallon at a time so no jars in the instant pot for me and I'm going for 24 hour fermentation to eliminate the lactose. This is why I'm choosing mild yogurt culture. The longer a culture goes the more lactic acid is produced = more sour flavor. With a mild culture I can get much less lactic acid for the extra long fermentation period :)

You're welcome.
I figured that is what you were shooting for with the increased fermentation time. I've never tried 24 hrs myself. The longest I ever let it ferment was for 9 hours. I did the double scald for a thicker and a little more tangy result.
And yeah, I didn't waste my time with jars either. Just made in the inner pot and then poured the yogurt into a cheese cloth lined colander.
We even used the yogurt as a sourcream substitute :)
Good stuff!
Let me know how it works out for you.

You're welcome.
I figured that is what you were shooting for with the increased fermentation time. I've never tried 24 hrs myself. The longest I ever let it ferment was for 9 hours. I did the double scald for a thicker and a little more tangy result.
And yeah, I didn't waste my time with jars either. Just made in the inner pot and then poured the yogurt into a cheese cloth lined colander.
We even used the yogurt as a sourcream substitute :)
Good stuff!
Let me know how it works out for you.

Nice!

Oh I forgot to mention I'm also using Ultra Filtered ( not ultra pasteurized) which eliminates even more sugars and claims to be lactose free due to the processing. This should also hedge my bets with the mild culture and long 24hr fermentation period. Less sugar, less lactic acid, + mild culture = reducing as much sourness produced over that long period.

I'll likely take 8 floz of it and make a test batch with erythritol and vanilla extract (imitation) and see how it turns out and to figure out measurements of each ingredient. Then do the same with allulose and see what the measurements are and which sweetener dissolves better.

Then after a week of eating those I'll flavor the rest with the winning combo and I'll have the ingredient amounts already figured out :)

From there I may work on some other flavors like Strawberry, Watermelon, and Green Apple since I have flavorings for them. I also have True Lemon, True Orange, and True Lime if I want to try those as well.
Sounds silly with those kinds of flavors but I like the idea of tinkering and seeing what I can figure out hahaha :D

Wow! Sounds like you have a great plan. Adding the flavorings should kick it up a notch too.
All we ever did was add some cut up fruit and some honey for sweetness to individual bowls.

Reactions: tallbm
I make a milk Kefir, supposedly it is lactose free also.

Yeah I read a lot on Kefir. Very similar, different fermentation starter, different consistency, and different final nutrition.

It's funny how Yogurt, Kefir, and Sour Cream area so similar and 1 change in the process has them being so different lol :)

tallbm tallbm Dang It!
Now you got wanting to make yogurt again and playing around with flavorings too.
Lord knows my wife has a collection of flavorings except for strawberry.

tallbm tallbm Dang It!
Now you got wanting to make yogurt again and playing around with flavorings too.
I have a couple sodastreams to make seltzer water and Stur makes a stevia flavoring, no artifical sweeteners or sugar vegetables for color you can add a little for a hint of flavor or whatever. I have a black cherry, strawberry watermelon, blue black berries and a coconut pineapple. I'll try and flavor a few oz of yogurt at a time when I make my next half gallon. It's been over a year I'm due.

tallbm tallbm Dang It!
Hahaha I understand!
And guess what I'm already eyeballing to do with some of this yogurt...FROZEN YOGURT!!!
I've already read up on what's needed there. Basically add some more fat, more sweetener, and freeze + churn for ice cream either by hand or with a machine.
Once I get yogurt down then I goof around with frozen yogurt haha :D

I have a couple sodastreams to make seltzer water and Stur makes a stevia flavoring, no artifical sweeteners or sugar vegetables for color you can add a little for a hint of flavor or whatever. I have a black cherry, strawberry watermelon, blue black berries and a coconut pineapple. I'll try and flavor a few oz of yogurt at a time when I make my next half gallon. It's been over a year I'm due.
Oh man that sounds cool!

I buy a Dr. Pepper seltzer/carbinated water that Kroger sells. It has 0 nutrition to it so it's good to go. I use liquid stevia/erythritol sweetener and boom tastes like a Dr.Pepper!

Yours sound cool and going from what I know with my Dr. Pepper setup I can just imagine how awesome yours come out! :D

Hahaha I understand!
And guess what I'm already eyeballing to do with some of this yogurt...FROZEN YOGURT!!!
I've already read up on what's needed there. Basically add some more fat, more sweetener, and freeze + churn for ice cream either by hand or with a machine.
Once I get yogurt down then I goof around with frozen yogurt haha :D

Oh man that sounds cool!

I buy a Dr. Pepper seltzer/carbinated water that Kroger sells. It has 0 nutrition to it so it's good to go. I use liquid stevia/erythritol sweetener and boom tastes like a Dr.Pepper!

Yours sound cool and going from what I know with my Dr. Pepper setup I can just imagine how awesome yours come out! :D
Right! At Kroger I also get their seltzer with the flavor essence of the Dr,, cola or rootbeer. The Stur seltzer flavors I bought online is now at our Kroger with the Mio water flavoring etc area

Those flavors sound like they would make delicious yogurt.

Reactions: dr k
So my batch was done a few hours ago. Learning a ton of stuff already!!!
CgDYNAc.jpg

So with this 24hr fermentation you will definitely have to drain it.
Mild cultures were a great idea because there is still some tartness which I think would be perfect for most people that like sour and tartness. I'm not so much one of those folks but with sweetener and such its pretty good.

I'm learning 1 gallon of milk is probably going to yield maybe 1/2 a gallon of yogurt once drained enough, etc. So good to learn that.

Also I've already started goofing around with a small amount baking soda to cut acidity and wow what a cool experience hahaha.

I'm looking forward to so many things to learn and try and do to make some great yogurt!

Also trying to figure out what I'm going to do with acidic whey. I think a touch of baking soda will make it drinkable as is so that's an easy adjustment to use the cups of liquid acidic whey I have! :D

It's kind of exciting in a food nerd kind of way and I can't wait to try some frozen yogurt ice cream :D

Ok here's an update on what I have found on 3 batches of yogurt making.

• 1 gallon of whole milk (Fairlife ultra filtered whole milk [has lowest carbs and calories]) fermented 24 hrs MUST be drained
  • 1 gallon of this stuff will produce 3/4 quarts or liters of yogurt and 1 quart/liter of acidic liquid whey to be thrown out. So 75% yield of 1 gallon
  • Drain in a fine mesh strainer for minimum 12 hours. Throw out the liquid unless you like the tart stuff but it has way more carbs and though it is called acid whey it has like almost no whey protein in it (odd). A few dashes of baking powder tames the acid content so have at it for a drink :D
  • I like 75gm of Erythritol sweetener for 1 pound of yogurt to have a great sweetness that is non-sugar, non-insulin inducing. Keto friendly, Diabetic friendly, etc.
  • Erythritol will fully dissolve in the yogurt after about 20 minutes so don't worry about the crystals initially being detected when mixed in at first. The sweetness will continue to spread in yogurt as it dissolves
  • About 75gm of Allulose per pound also works the same for flavoring as Erythritol
  • Everything I read says this method will produce Lactose-Free yogurt out of any kind of milk and basically with the milk I choose I should be getting damn near Sugar-Free yogurt due to the cultures eating up ALL the sugar over 24hrs and my milk being lower carb/sugar to begin with
  • This mild yogurt culture was key to not have super sour yogurt with the long 24hr fermentation period
  • 1 cup frozen good unflavored yogurt has been good for culturing subsequent batches 2 & 3 (max to do is go to batch 5 then use powder culture again)
  • I like 1.5tsp or so of imitation Vanilla Extract per pound of yogurt
  • Loranne's flavor oil strawberry and watermelon like 6 -9 drops (hard to control) is great for 1 pound of yogurt flavor. Watermelon was deceptively awesome!!!! Didn't know how Watermelon would come out but... wow!
  • Frozen yogurt.... this 24hr yogurt with whole milk does not work as is. It freezes like ice and seems to need much higher fat content. My 3rd batch of yogurt was made with 1/2 gallon whole milk + 1/2 gallon of heavy cream. I'll experiment more with turning this into frozen yogurt :D

Conclusion
I'm not some kind of yogurt nut or yogurt lover BUT I jump at the chance of being able to have lactose-free, no-sugar, low calorie, super low carb, keto friendly sweet treats!
This yogurt beats anything in the store for sure but not by like 10 miles or anything. It's just clearly better but not mind blowing to me... someone who LOVES yogurt may have a different opinion on how good it is, so you will have to try for yourself.
If I can make frozen yogurt with it... that's a game changer!
I do find I very much enjoy eating it for breakfast and once I'm done experimenting I will figure out how often I want to add this to my eating regimen (as though I have very structured one lol).

Why not use real vanilla extract?
I've had a bottle of imitation vanilla for years now that needs to be used up and I figured experimenting with yogurt was a good way to get it gone haha. I have real vanilla extract but save it for my other candy projects that call for it.

I now have to figure out how to use up my almond extract and a whole bottle of butter extract. I don't really do much in the way of carbs and I don't bake pastries and sweets so it may take a while to find what I can do with those extracts.

I think I can start adding butter extract to my sautéed vegetables when I use coconut oil with them so I can use it up.

When those 2 extracts and the imitation vanilla extract are gone then I will have finally gotten rid of some crap an old ex left here in in the back of my pantry hahaha :D

Reactions: 1MoreFord
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky