Any idea what this wood is?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Could it be pecan?
This is pecan
IMG_20201021_114911.jpg
IMG_20201021_114923.jpg

The bark is definitely similar to the pecan. That could be it

It is definitely not pine. There's not a single knot in any of the wood pieces. I've also cracked some of it open with a hatchet and smelled it. No pine scent whatsoever.

If not pecan, does anyone think this could be mulberry? I put this bark into a tree identifying app, and it suggested mulberry. After having looked up some pictures of fresh cut mulberry on the net, the wood looks very similar, as does the bark.

Alright, fellas. Getting real close to calling this mulberry.

Turns yellow when wet. There is zero rot on any piece. Bark matches. Very dense yet light weight wood, and light in color when dry.

Still waiting for TAMU to get back with me, but after 2 days of research, I think I've got it.

Damn, the Oilfield needs to pick up. 2 days researching wood chunks. 😂

Alright, fellas. Getting real close to calling this mulberry.

Turns yellow when wet. There is zero rot on any piece. Bark matches. Very dense yet light weight wood, and light in color when dry.

Still waiting for TAMU to get back with me, but after 2 days of research, I think I've got it.

Damn, the Oilfield needs to pick up. 2 days researching wood chunks. 😂
Lol you know things are getting serious when you call the University. I think you are on the right path with the mulberry

Reactions: Fattygonnafat
I’m not an expert in wood and deffinetly can’t tell by color. This is healthy pecan that’s been drying for 1.5 years out of the elements
D425FEBF-4782-40AC-A804-519BE067DF52.jpeg
68A541BF-2B8F-433F-A96E-13720B1754E6.jpeg
283AA44E-7D28-4A59-A4A0-939A786456BA.jpeg

Don’t know about the bark but the bark less pieces look like poplar. It often gets those dark streaks. Is any of it light green towards the center?

Last edited:
It doesn't look like maple bark to me.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky