Any activity in AZ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lambo-az

Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Hey all.

I know there is still a pandemic going on and whatnot, and that not withstanding, anyone in AZ do anything as a group or get together to smoke or share smoking knowledge?

I'm in Mesa and pretty much the only person I know who has a smoker, I'd love to meet some other local smokers who I can learn the art from

Hey!

Ya I figured with the pandemic everything was at at a halt but I'm willing to take my chances LOL

So far I've done ribs, pork butt, and a few different things using chuck roast in the place of brisket ( barbacoa tacos, poor man burnt ends, etc) and some chicken. I really want to master ribs, that my friends and family favorite and I got em good not great.

I really want to do a brisket, but that an expensive piece of meat to mess up so I'm not getting ahead of myself, and would love to see it done on person before I go die on that hill.

Welcome from Iowa! I wouldn't be too afraid of a brisket, no need to over think it. I'm not an expert on them but so many ways to do them. And although you might not nail it the first time and get it perfect there are still many uses for leftovers. Last one I did I had separated the point and flat...cured the flat for beef bacon and tied the point so it was more uniform and onto my kettle. Ran hot and fast, no wrap and wife said it was best ever. 1st time doing it like that.

20200718_200855.jpg

Good luck and happy smoking!

Ryan

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Sacrilege Ryan! How DARE you.....Grin...There's only two of us so cooking up a whole brisket is a bit much. Very glad to hear you separated them (I'm thinking corned beef for the flat) and it worked out.

Lambo: I'm stuck up north until the borders open and as many have said, Covid's kiboshing any get togethers anyway. We gotta do this virtually.

Since you're looking for things to do, head to the pork shop http://theporkshopaz.com/ Have a look around. Get some ribs, some snack sticks (careful they do get HOT if you choose), and buy a tote bag both for utility and the free bratwurst. Then cook all that up and let us know how it goes!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I had Smokin' in AZ Smokin' in AZ (John) over to my place for a sausage lunch right before the pandemic hit Lambo, had a beer or two and a nice time, he's a great guy. We haven't had a single guest or family member over here since then, has to be eight months now. SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker (Stuart) is also a really fine person who lives in south AZ and we've all talked about getting together when this thing subsides. Covid never really left, but it's now back with a vengeance everywhere. I can't see any get togethers anytime soon under the current circumstances, far too risky. Hell, you most likely aren't more than 15 minutes away from me. If and when the time ever comes when it's feasible to do something of that nature I'll be sure to give you a shout, till then, keep smoking and stay safe. RAY

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Ya I hear you Ray. I don't fault anyone for being restrictive, but I know everyone has an opinion on Covid and figured some people might be getting together anyway. I look forward to this coming to an end and being able to do normal smoking stuff again.

Shhhh Chickenwings, don't spread the word about The Pork Shop! Kidding, great place that has a nice selection of meats along with samples. The Green Chili burritos are excellent and I'm usually taking a couple home! I'm down in the southeast part of the valley.

Shhhh Chickenwings, don't spread the word about The Pork Shop! Kidding, great place that has a nice selection of meats along with samples. The Green Chili burritos are excellent and I'm usually taking a couple home! I'm down in the southeast part of the valley.
Lol. I know The Pork Shop, I used to work in Florence and would drive past there on the way through QC. Their sausage is amazing as well.

Sorry I didn't know it was a secret! I'm not from here... :emoji_astonished:

I'm stuck in Canada now but we're usually down in Johnson Ranch this time of year.

No, I am only joking Chickenwings. Very popular even though it is somewhat away from everything, worth the drive. The meats are fresh and the staff is helpful.

I am sure you are ready to head south to the warm weather!

Hahaha yeah I was joking too. Yes as soon as the border restrictions are lifted it'll be dust and tail lights!

Lambo, welcome aboard.

sawhorseray sawhorseray is correct about it being too risky to hold even a small gathering right now.
We usually trade off hosting Thanksgiving dinner with our nextdoor neighbors. We all decided to cancel doing that this year.

Stuart

I'm in Venture Out (Mesa) for snowbird time. Don't know when we'll be there this year though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky