Another turkey smoking question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papadoc72

Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Hi all, I just found the website and am soaking up all the information...
I am all ready to smoke a 11 pound turkey on thanksgiving day...
Have the brine recipe printed out, smoker is ready, turkey is thawing..
Just have one question.
How many pans of wood (Smoke) do you use.
I usually smoke salmon and know for a fact that you can get it too smokey.
I have a propane smoker and was planning on once the smoker gets up to temp, put the pan of wood in (Using Hickory) and 45 minutes to an hour later, a second pan of smoke....
Is 2 pans of smoke enough for a 11 pound turkey done at 250° F for about 6 hours?
Thanks for all the help and information.

Brett

I would have the bird in smoke until the internal temp gets above 135F. I have a GOSM and added wood 3 times for my last turkey smoke (9 lb bird). I followed your idea and added wood at 45 minute intervals.

Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

I would not use Hickory on the turkey :(

Go with a fruitwood, they are much friendlier to the mild tast of chicken or turkey. If fruitwood is not available be very careful with the nutwoods or mesquite. That's my opinion :P

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky