Another noob, just what this site needed . . . .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ZoidMeister

Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
And I just put together my latest smoker. Hoping to learn a bit and raise my skill level a bit.

Maiden voyage on this one will be on Saturday. 19 lb. turkey will be on the menu.

20190704_145451.jpg

20190704_145316.jpg

Good luck with the maiden voyage. Keep the temps high and be careful on how much/type of smoke you pump into that turkey. Poultry takes on smoke rather quickly and can be easily ruined by oversmoking.

Chris

Good luck with the maiden voyage. Keep the temps high and be careful on how much/type of smoke you pump into that turkey. Poultry takes on smoke rather quickly and can be easily ruined by oversmoking.

Chris

Many thanks for the heads up. That would have been my first mistake. Up until now, I've been using vertical smokers with an inline fire and water pan. There was no incoming air control (open bottom), the door had no seal, and the smoke stack had no damper. Temperatures were all over the place and it leaked like a sieve. Zero control.

I'm actually going to fire it up empty today for several hours to burn off any manufacturing oils or residues, lay down the first layer of carbon, and get a feel for temperature control.

Welcome to the board! Wow it looks like you could get a lot done with a rig like that.

One feature of this box that I really like is the ring of hooks at the top of the chamber for hanging meat. I can see myself hanging sausages, ribs, whole fish, or curing and cooking pork belly (homemade bacon).

20190704_133716.jpg

The largest smoke batch I've ever done in the past in my old smoker was 60 lbs. of pork tenderloin for a church dinner. I had to do it in two batches over two days and it involved a lot of moving the meats around from upper to lower racks. Wish I had known about this forum years ago.

Z

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky