Another newbie to smoking meat!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hmcm

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Upland, California
Hi All,

I've been considering getting into smoking for a while now and so the wife went and bought a smoker for me for Christmas.  She bought the Masterbuilt XL at BPS for $179.  A great price I thought.  I've been poking around this forum for a few weeks and have gotten a lot of great advise on equipment, mods, seasoning the smoker first and cooking so thanks to everyone for putting in their $.02!!  I still have a lot of questions that I hope can be answered here by the knowledgeable community!  i will just start throwing them out in no particular order.

1.  What happens if you don't put water in the water pan?

2.  A common problem, as I read here, with the Masterbuilt XL is the chip tray and the chips catching fire.  Can you just wrap the chips in foil with holes poked in it and place on the chip plate or is a replacement pan (ie cast iron skillet) in my future?

3.  What happens if you don't wet the chips?  I read a lot about mixing wet chips with dry chips.  What is the benefit of this?

4.  I've watched some youtube videos on smoking and some people continue to add chips several times and others only add chips at the start and then about 2 or 3 hours into the process.  Is one way better than others?  Is this one of those personal preference things?

That's it for now.  I can't wait to do my first piece and thanks to everyone who made it possible!

It's raining cats and dogs right here in southern California so I'll get started once it lets up!

Have a great holiday everyone!

hmcm

Hello and welcome to SMF. You will find lots of great info here

Where in So Ca are you?  We are getting lots of folks here in So Ca and I am going to try to work with some of the other folks to hold gathering after the first of the year.

welcome to SMF!

The water pan needs either water or sand in it to act as a heat dipersant.

(kills alot of the hot spots)

i would try the foil IF you have a problem w/ chips firing up.

No reason to wet any chips

All i camn say on adding chips is, As long as you smell smoke it is flavoring the meat. If you make up some extra foil packets ,ypou can just open the unit and toss one in if ypou need more smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky