Another mailbox mod question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I was just about to pull the plug and buy the material for this mod I have been planning. I went out and uncovered it to look inside to be sure I had everything correct and came up with another issie.

Here is a pic of the inside of the smoker with the wood tray and the water tray showing where the vent is.

PXL_20211217_183417443.jpg

The bottom tray is the wood chip tray and it also acts as a heat deflector and the top pan is the water pan. I think, I'm pretty sure, the vent is where it is to assist in keeping the wood smoking. When I first got it I opened and closed these vents to see if it had an impact on the temperature. It did, but was only a few degrees. The oxygen for the fire comes from around burner, up from the bottom.

Question 1) It seems like the vent is not where I want to place the mailbox mod smoke intake. There is another vent just like it on the other side. If smoke comes in this low it will be forced up on it's side of the smoker by the pressure created by the vent on the other side. And it seems the water pan will create an additional block to also restrict the flow of the smoke to the other side of the smoker. Should I move the smoke intake higher up on this wall of the smoker? Should I keep the vent on the other side closed, it was my intention to keep the vent on the mod side closed to force pulling the smoke from the mod?

Question 2) The smoker is 18" wide and 16" deep. Should the mod be put on the back of the smoker. There will be no wood in the smoking tray, so maybe the water pan should sit on the chip tray/heat diffuser and I can then place the smoke intake just above the new water pan location so the smoke can mix through out the smoker lower?

I think your overthinking it .. Just put the hose to one or the other intake and keep the opposite one closed... see what happens ...

Are you saying there are no vents near the top of the smoker? If so, yes, you need to install one.

OK, then I would probably try not using the lower vent on the other side. Keep the top vent wide open. Is this a single door smoker?

OK, then I would probably try not using the lower vent on the other side. Keep the top vent wide open. Is this a single door smoker?
Yes, door opens the entire cabinet.

I have to cut the two holes for the smoke to enter the smoker. The mailbox will be a stainless steel enclosure like a yuko box and the connection will be from two 1 1/2 inch nipple's. So I can put them anywhere I want.

Was just reading and I never put it together but I will just add a circulation fan like OldSmoke OldSmoke and tallbm tallbm have done.

I'll put the smoke inputs just under the horizontal bar so the smoke will flow freely into the chamber.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky