Another Indy Rookie!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indyr

Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Zionsville IN
I found this site after my son pointed me here. I tried giving away a very heavy older Brinkman horizontal to him. I got it for next to nothing from a customers house. It was unused for years. I think I discovered why. I had been banging my head over this unit. I had made several attempts at cooking ribs chicken etc. All had been not a disaster but took forever or had to be finished in the oven. A brisket took hours and hours and was done on one end and raw on the other etc. My wife was giving me a hard time about my cooking skills which had always been pretty good on the inside appliances. My sister in-law the excellent cook had to chime in too. You gotta hate that.

As a backyard engineer I was certain there had to be design flaws as I showed my son that the firebox opening was 3" higher than the food surface and the stack and thermometer was at the top of the unit. Heat had to race right over and out the stack. I couldn't get an IT over 135 -140 which doesn't work for pork chicken etc. But the temp on the hood would read 180-220.

Then I read and searched. I discovered I was not alone. So I immediately started doing the general mods I found here. I installed a baffle and tuning plates. Then extended the flue. Also added a raised basket for lump charcoal. I did a test burn to burn off the new paint and check temps. The temp on the surface was 5 degrees less than the hood and within 10 degrees from end to end! I can't wait to try some recipes in it!
Thanks for all the help already.

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics... Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

Welcome and I am glad you made some use of the resources here. Give us some Qview when you have a chance.

Welcome to the SMF, looks like you're taking advantage of some of the great information available here.

Welcome to SMF. Glad to have you here and glad to see that the information here has been helpful.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

HAPPY SMOKES
biggrin.gif

Stan aka Old School

First off welcome to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are abunch of good folks here that would just love to help you out with just about anythignto do with smoking. We really like to have newbies here because they can bring in a new propective to how things are done. There's nothing like a new set of eyes to give and new way to make things that little differant to make things alittle better. So I hope you know about the Qview here. We like to see your smoker and what your smoking on. So grab your camera and show us how you do it.
Welcome To The Addiction

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky